why a free car fax could be your worst nightmare

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Think of it this way, I'm car thief, I need a particular year, model, and color and heck I even need to know where you live so I can just drop by and pick it up, oh ya and I want one that hasn’t been wrecked either, get the idea? :)

Please Stop helping Car Thieves here on Supramania; it’s up to US to Think Smart

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
suprageezer said:
Think of it this way, I'm car thief, I need a particular year, model, and color and heck I even need to know where you live so I can just drop by and pick it up, oh ya and I want one that hasn’t been wrecked either, get the idea? :)

Please Stop helping Car Thieves here on Supramania; it’s up to US to Think Smart
benefits outweight the downfalls..

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Carfax is one thing... "I need to know how to break in my supra/bypass the alarm, please help" is another thing... ;)

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
they cant even get keys cut anymore with our vins for the most part so im not sweating it too much.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
Lexus got alot better about making keys. A few years ago all you needed was the VIN and nothing else. Thats how alot of SC's got stolen a few years ago (look up top 10 stolen cars from the late 90s/early 2000s). Now lexus requires the vin, title, registration, drivers licence, birth certificate, and your first born.

aljordan

LEADED FUEL ONLY
Jul 14, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
www.apeserver.com
suprageezer said:

Since when did carfax start giving out street addresses??? The most I've seen is city and state.

rs4rush

Jan 25, 2007
Kirkland, Wa
Its called a garage and a clutch lock. I dont think it would be

Oh ya I work at toyota its easy to get cut keys. I did it for mine!

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
D34DC311 said:
LOL, I got you beat, mines 250miles from where I live.

I see your 250 miles, and raise you 2800... :biglaugh:

5 states away, heh.

But on topic here, who needs a key, I have a whole ignition switch you just plug into the harness on the column. The point is, if thieves want your car, they will find a way, but I agree with the op and say anything you can to to make it harder for them is a good idea.

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
Reign_Maker said:
Carfax is one thing... "I need to know how to break in my supra/bypass the alarm, please help" is another thing... ;)

Is there anyway we can have these types of threads removed, locked, deleted. hidden, etc? Because the answers are nothing but a 3 sec search away...

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Bwest: the problem is, there are some people, like myself, who will one day, or currently need this information... The bottom line is, if someone wants your car, they WILL get it... That guy in canada had his car taken from his driveway, another guy had his drug down the street... If they want it bad enough, they'll get it... The main thing we can do here is preach awareness and try to keep a look out for each other, spotting potentially "wierd" threads and issolating newbs with far too much interest in this...

Bmos: I appreciate your point... Thanks for understanding why I removed it...

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
Carfax isn't 100% accurate anyways... My Solara was in an accident exceeding $10K cumulative (meaning over several repair visits, all covered by Progressive) and my report says it's clean... I'm a nice dude and disclosed that to my buyer and supplied him with every piece of paperwork from every repair done, but take the reports with a grain of salt...

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
Reign-

I understand completely. But on the other hand, the smart ones will know to search not ask (I'm sure a locked and alarmed supra won't be their first score - a bit more complicated that any other car without an alarm - locked or not). Call me a little paranoid, but with as many cars have been stolen since last Nov (that have reported here or SF), especially in the Bay Area, I don't think my concern is unwaranted.

btw- get yourself some extra keys so you don't have to worry about it ;)

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
I didn’t post it for all you wizards out there. it was for the youngens, sorry sometimes I just fell like helping them with some insight, but freaken A the comedians and know it alls seem to always chime in like I did sumtin wrong, so I if you can see the info that ain’t for you cause your well lets just say Well Informed, try just it leaving it at that once in a while.