Who offers carbon fiber hatches for mkiii's?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
As far as weight distribution goes, it's true that the hatch is at the rear, but it's also HIGH. For that reason, I'd say that it's worthwhile to consider.

It's certainly not the first place that I'd work on for weight reduction, but I don't think that it's an all bad choice either.

TRDownShift

Sep 19, 2010
Austin, Texas, United States
Although What I would be worried about is just that... that weight "up top" on the rear of the car helps the rear end "sway" a bit and I would think that bit of sway would help with understeer... BUT if you take away some of the rear body roll I would think the car would understeer harder because now theres LESS oversteer... I don't know if that makes any sense to you guys... you've had these cars longer then me so.. :p I'm just thinking about how the change in weight on that very spot would affect how the car drives. (then again high power FR GT car, less weight out back means faster to power over, I don't know, I guess it could work out both ways based on your setup)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Guy from TX2K7 with a lexan back window

p1760008_1.jpg

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
THANK GOD i read this thread i was going to remove the glass from the hatch and replace it with a light plastic. but it makes sense to leave it as it is.
But what about the door windows, are they worth removing and changing them to light plastic?

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
door windows not really. there only 10-15 lbs each (guessing by feel here) plus the windows are slightly curved so that would have to be duplicated aswell, not like the back glass thats flat and stationary.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
TRDownShift;1759908 said:
...and if i can I will have my roll cage made from it too :p )
Chromoly steel isn't a bad alternative. I think my entire (Cusco) cage weighs 20-30lbs tops. It can be a structural support that encounters lots of stress though, not sure I would want a CF cage... don't think it would work as well.

Dan_Gyoba;1759961 said:
As far as weight distribution goes, it's true that the hatch is at the rear, but it's also HIGH. For that reason, I'd say that it's worthwhile to consider.
Hadn't considered this, but I think the point is valid. If you're scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to weight reduction, this might be a good last resort. :)

mjsn1;1760020 said:
THANK GOD i read this thread i was going to remove the glass from the hatch and replace it with a light plastic. but it makes sense to leave it as it is.
But what about the door windows, are they worth removing and changing them to light plastic?

Ideally, you want as much of the car's weight BETWEEN the axles as you can, for the sake of balance. Again, not the worst place to remove weight, but I'd leave them alone. Aren't they usually made of 'safety' glass anyway?

Not to mention the headache of shaping a replacement... can't see that being easy or fun.

Hmm... on the topic of weight re-distribution, what happens when you remove 150-200lbs off the nose of the car, when considering the suspension that was setup/tuned for having that weight on the front end? Should be interesting to find out, anyone know from experience?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1760380 said:
Door windows aren't possible without constructing frames for them (like they do for rally cars)

So in other words, you'd either have to construct an entirely new set of guts for the door's interior, or are you saying you would need to basically rivet the thing on, making it lose it's function as an opening window?

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
te72;1760317 said:
Hmm... on the topic of weight re-distribution, what happens when you remove 150-200lbs off the nose of the car, when considering the suspension that was setup/tuned for having that weight on the front end? Should be interesting to find out, anyone know from experience?

pull the motor out and what happens? the front end goes up and gives you that awesome 4x4 look, as the springs have less load on them.

it would take a bit of playing around with coil overs, to get the car sitting level, then adjust the spring rate for the same amout of travel front and rear

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
bioskyline;1760825 said:
pull the motor out and what happens? the front end goes up and gives you that awesome 4x4 look, as the springs have less load on them.

it would take a bit of playing around with coil overs, to get the car sitting level, then adjust the spring rate for the same amout of travel front and rear
Got the coilovers already, and access to scales to cornerweight the car, so definitely have some work cut out for me...

T701jz;1760842 said:
I can have the doors done for $800-pair x 5-minimum GB.

Someone is obviously gonna ask, might as well be me... is this for just the outer skin, or inner panel as well? Would it retain all the function (and safety bits) of the factory door setup? I'm sure there's a market for this sort of thing, just pointing out the questions that are bound to come. :)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
T701jz;1761341 said:
Complete and functional.

Id buy a set for sure if you could provide proof everything fits like factory and all structural components in the targa doors were present. The targa doors are a part of the body structure, so you absolutely have to have those in a targa car.

Post up an example picture showing fitment and structure with weight comparison and ill bite. :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
suprarx7nut;1761349 said:
Id buy a set for sure if you could provide proof everything fits like factory and all structural components in the targa doors were present. The targa doors are a part of the body structure, so you absolutely have to have those in a targa car.

Post up an example picture showing fitment and structure with weight comparison and ill bite. :)

I'll admit interest, that much I can't deny. Would all depend on the finished product though, and how it looked on the interior too... I imagine weight would be around 25-30lbs per door though, not counting the glass, but have no real way of guessing.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
te72;1761370 said:
I'll admit interest, that much I can't deny. Would all depend on the finished product though, and how it looked on the interior too... I imagine weight would be around 25-30lbs per door though, not counting the glass, but have no real way of guessing.

The weight is a big part of my concern. The doors are huge. And heavy. But I'm unsure of how much weight you can actually pull and keep it just as functional. I'm imagining you'd only lose the weight of the steel sheet skin on the door. Maybe that's only 20# total. I don't know, but I'd sure like somebody to make one so they can tell me! :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Honestly, as they're a large structural and protective part of the car, I'd buy the good ones. Though I doubt the doors weigh all thet much once you remove all the internals (including the crash bars we have in the states)

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Just wondering if anyone has weighed their empty door skins or replaced the rear hatch glass with lexan, plexi, or polycarbonate yet. I am moving weight to the rear and would like to lighten the back end of the car up to compensate and possibly get a better weight distribution.