Who has a black intercooler?

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
IJ.;1018231 said:
Black Ano is gonna look like shit as it's be different colours at the welds and fins. (different grades of Al anodise in different shades)

I don't think the color variance would be that dramatic or "look like shit". But I will ask my powder coat/anodize guy Monday and get a definite answer.

Anodizing would almost certainly be a better proposition in terms of not collecting or insulating heat as well as durability.

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
I realize that it would anodize in different shades but IMO the point of making your IC black is really only to hide it, not to make it look "better." Anodize is also one of the only ways to keep from insulating the IC. If there is a paint that actually helps transfer the heat BETTER then that would probably be the best/easiest route.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Anodized coatings have a much lower thermal conductivity and coefficient of linear expansion than aluminium. As a result, the coating will crack from thermal stress if exposed to temperatures above 80 °C. The coating can crack, but it will not peel.

From: Edwards, Joseph (1997). Coating and Surface Treatment Systems for Metals. Finishing Publications Ltd. and ASM International, pp. 34-38. ISBN 0-904477-16-9.