white smoke

MKTURBO3

Jun 8, 2007
NEWYORK
i have white smoke coming out of my exhaust only when i give it some gas and when i come to a stop very little tho. i know white smoke = coolant burning but i checked my coolant i havent really lost any amount of coolant. this is on a rebuilt motor i have about 11xx something miles on my motor. i havent changed my water pump radiator or cap only thing i changed was the upper coolant hose with a cooleze pipe. everything checked out good. im still getting some misfiring from exhaust too at idle i hear poping noise and everytime i let off gas it jerks like its misfiring can any1 lead me places to check for thanks for ur help guys

MKTURBO3

Jun 8, 2007
NEWYORK
my exhaust is all filled with black stuff im thinking its from before my motor before the rebuild had alot of leaks and the exhaust is not brand new so how could i tell i have no water or oil on it

MKTURBO3

Jun 8, 2007
NEWYORK
smells kinda of like coolant.. at idle i get a little blue smoke but when i rev at idle i will get a cloud of white smoke. this cant be a bhh right no coolant loss no milky stuff on oil cap resivor or radiator cap

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
MKTURBO3 said:
smells kinda of like coolant.. at idle i get a little blue smoke but when i rev at idle i will get a cloud of white smoke. this cant be a bhh right no coolant loss no milky stuff on oil cap resivor or radiator cap

I don't want to jump to a conclusion... (could be several things...) but mine was doing it on decel... and at startup, until warm... and deteriorated over a few weeks. Ruled out most other stuff... and yup, it appears to have been the turbo oil seals... probably on the rear exducer side. (Much more play than the front... and NOTICABLY less play on the spare I swapped with it yesterday.)

Today, with a fresh turbo... my smoke is GONE!:biglaugh:

(Be sure to check the other stuff first though! I was lucky I had a spare laying around!)

-crisp

MKTURBO3

Jun 8, 2007
NEWYORK
if my turbo seals were bad which i hope it is would i be boosting at all. im only boosting @ 5psi could it be a bad turbo seal ?

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
MKTURBO3 said:
if my turbo seals were bad which i hope it is would i be boosting at all. im only boosting @ 5psi could it be a bad turbo seal ?

My turbo spooled NO PROBLEM at 15-16psi and ran STRONG even though the seals were leaking...

Just replaced the thing with a "spare" on Saturday... (crisp's TURBO SWAP thread...), and now my smoke is GONE!:biglaugh:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47656

Once again, I'm not suggesting a jump to that conclusion... but a blown turbo oil seal will not necessarily surface as a "performance" problem right away...

-crisp