white smoke on deceleration, after bhg

crosupra

Jun 28, 2006
Croatia
just got done doing a rebuild after i got a bhg a three weeks ago.
all seals were changed, head is tested and car is running fine, except white smoke on deceleration.

first, when we started up the car after rebuild, there was a massive cloud of white smoke for some 20 min, after that the smoke was gone, except on deceleration.

temp is ok, no overheating, oil filter is new, new oil (valvoline 10w-40)

what to do?

Thanx

sorry for crappy english:)

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
Bad valve stem seals will suck in oil when downshifting, which would explain why it is burning oil.

And once the engine is off, oil can leak down past the valve stem seals into your cylinders...so that when you start it next, it smokes for a bit.

What condition are the valve stem seals in?

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Oil smoke is blue, not white. Could also just be high humidity, and your seeing the exhaust vapors. Usually takes a while to burn all the coolant and water out of the exhaust.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
cuel said:
Oil smoke is blue, not white. Could also just be high humidity, and your seeing the exhaust vapors. Usually takes a while to burn all the coolant and water out of the exhaust.
Yeah but why under deceleration? Maybe it's not really white smoke or he has a problem with the HG repair? Usally if it's condensation it burns off fairly soon.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
It is entirely possible that he's mistaking blue smoke for white, as they do look similar if its not very thick. I was just giving possibilities for white smoke.
I've noticed after hg jobs that, after that initial big nasty cloud, a vehicle wouldn't smoke visibly under pressure(acceleration), but would once you let off the gas, or while sitting at an idle. My theory is that under acceleration, your pushing hotter gases with more velocity, making the vapors appear clear, or as if they aren't there. Under deceleration, or at an idle, the exhaust isn't moving anywhere near as fast, and has time to cool enough to actually show vapor before exiting. Most of the time, a bhg will fill the exhaust with a really nasty residue from the coolant, and it'll hang in the cat. until the car has been driven for a while.
It is entirely possible, however, that its bad valve seals and blue smoke, and was never noticed until someone was actually looking for it....

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I don't think he's looking at coolant either... the first thing to cross my mind is fuel.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
He said 3 weeks ago for the HG. Should have burn off any residue anywere. Any way he could be sucking coolant? Like maybe not machining the head before the HG replacement, or just not a good HG seal?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
It is definitely possible that for any one of many reasons his HG didn't seat properly or a couple jackets were warped during the install.... possibly that his head is only on with 30ft lbs of torque because the holes weren't chased with a tap.

If coolant's getting out of it's circuit it's got to be replaced with something... air or oil. If you're low on coolant then you've got your answer.

At any rate, additional commentary is really just academic.

crosupra

Jun 28, 2006
Croatia
88mkIIIproject said:
Bad valve stem seals will suck in oil when downshifting, which would explain why it is burning oil.

And once the engine is off, oil can leak down past the valve stem seals into your cylinders...so that when you start it next, it smokes for a bit.

What condition are the valve stem seals in?

car doesn't smoke when i start engine

it start smoke after two minutes, then stops and then it smokes only when downshifting.

crosupra

Jun 28, 2006
Croatia
cuel said:
It is entirely possible that he's mistaking blue smoke for white, as they do look similar if its not very thick. I was just giving possibilities for white smoke.
I've noticed after hg jobs that, after that initial big nasty cloud, a vehicle wouldn't smoke visibly under pressure(acceleration), but would once you let off the gas, or while sitting at an idle. My theory is that under acceleration, your pushing hotter gases with more velocity, making the vapors appear clear, or as if they aren't there. Under deceleration, or at an idle, the exhaust isn't moving anywhere near as fast, and has time to cool enough to actually show vapor before exiting. Most of the time, a bhg will fill the exhaust with a really nasty residue from the coolant, and it'll hang in the cat. until the car has been driven for a while.
It is entirely possible, however, that its bad valve seals and blue smoke, and was never noticed until someone was actually looking for it....

my car doesn't have cat, and smoke is white.

crosupra

Jun 28, 2006
Croatia
CRE said:
It is definitely possible that for any one of many reasons his HG didn't seat properly or a couple jackets were warped during the install.... possibly that his head is only on with 30ft lbs of torque because the holes weren't chased with a tap.

If coolant's getting out of it's circuit it's got to be replaced with something... air or oil. If you're low on coolant then you've got your answer.

At any rate, additional commentary is really just academic.

O don't losing any coolant, and head torque is 72 lbs.

I hate this car......:icon_evil