where'd you learn how to work on cars?

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
My dad owned his own bodyshop and always did most of his own mechanical work on personal vehicles. That, high school automechanics class and having a mechanical aptitude is how I learned. I also like tearing shit apart when I was a kid, so I could see how it worked.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
i bought a supra, was my first car(been into motorcycle then saw the need for a car). it broke down alot so i figured i might as well learn to fix it lol

most of my early repairs were done in my apartments parking lot at 3am so they wouldnt hassle me.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
working on cars is about following directions and remember how things bolt up correctly. I feel the hands on is way better than the books. I never read a whole book just what i need to know and basically asked people on here when i am stuck. Find a mechanic or person who knows alot more than you is the best way to go about it. And about the motor go with the 7m for now its less expensive if u blow it up u can get one for 900-1200 or rebuild it for 400 the jz swaps are an expiernced man's game and has the price tag to go with it.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
I learned from a consciencness expanding acid trip a few years ago.

No, really I take things on as they come and hope for the best. Once in a while I call on others for a little hands-on help, but so far she stays on the road with nothing more than a TSRM and occassionally posting a questions here.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I trust books and manuals over advice given on forums :icon_wink
Advice is just advice, it's a good idea to verify that it is correct, and consider who is giving it. Not saying that there is a lot of bad advice given here, but how do you know without further research?

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
bigaaron said:
I trust books and manuals over advice given on forums :icon_wink
Advice is just advice, it's a good idea to verify that it is correct, and consider who is giving it. Not saying that there is a lot of bad advice given here, but how do you know without further research?

Yea true but sometimes the books are bit over your head with car language :) some people need it to be .... lets says written in a way that every can read and understand it

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
The Chilton's manuals are pretty good in that respect, they are written in laymen's terms.

The first engine I ever built was a VW 1641cc, and I did it by myself with the Chilton's manual.

Tun_x

Built to do the NASTY!!
Apr 1, 2005
Utah
Went to a funny place called college got a silly thing called a degree became a toyota master Tech and now I dont do it for a living any more ... Its better as a hobbie .. 10 years as a line tech was to long ...

turbodhbar

Sep 9, 2006
Bainbridge, N.Y.
I use to hang out at a service station that was across the road from the house I grow up in . The owner had me build a motor for his pickup, under his supervision when I was 14

glntom

Apr 13, 2005
Glenwood, AR
When I was 13 I had to change a fuel filter for my dad who was having a problem with it.
Then in 1977(when I was 15) I got my first truck, 1950 chevrolet 3100 with a 235 straight six, then came the first V8 swap(370hp 350 with muncie M22) when I was 17. From there I just had to do more and more. My mothers brothers are all mechanics so maybe its genetic.

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
most of my knowledge came from working hands on with experienced people on their cars. plus i would research something alot and then find step by step directions.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
My dad was a mechanic i completly swapped a front end from berlena to an iroc with my dad when i was 9 or 10 on an 84 camero my first car was 13 1969 opel gt worked on many cars by force with my dad i hated working on cars and i still do i dont do it for a living unless electrical tunning or mod work troubleshooting and what not. I do it as a hobby i like my own car enought to work on it.

I refuse to do it for a living when i was youger i wanted to be an aero space engineer and desinged my first jet about 12-13 a year later my grandfather was found my moms dad i found out he was a senior engineer for mcdonnald douglas i got bored with the simpleness of aircraft and wanted to go into the computer field 14-15 since then i have worked on bother aircraft and as tech rep and electrical and computer systems.

My dad was the first T1000 certified master tech for toyota in 1992 and he said son when you get enough money buy this car it was a 93 supra i fell in love with it and i did buy it along with many other supras allways loved them and learned a lot about toyotas since then and always looking to learn more.

Last edited: