Where did the Mk 2 & 3 get their styling?

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
I know that the Ferrari 308 and 328 have almost exactly the same headlight design, not to mention little bits of the body here and there that look similar, like the Targa, etc... So are there any other cars anyone can think of that have obviously influenced the design of the Supra?

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
Well I highly doubt Pininfarina had anything to do with it... But I have been wondering about this as well. I believe most Toyotas are designed In House but man it would be cool to meet the designer of this car eh?

Xistant

xistant
Jun 6, 2005
melbourne
sds
8 series BMW, front end is so simular its not funny,

mind you "pop up" healines and pumped guards were very very popular back then

download_1_2.jpg

e31new.jpg

Clinton

Power Blue!!
Apr 8, 2005
Sacramento, CA
MkI seemed to take some styling cues (more than Celicas of the same era) from the Toyota 2000GT of the late 60s, which was designed by Albrecht Goertz. The 2000GT took a lot of it's styling cues from the E-Type Jaguars of the time, so it _COULD_ be stretched to say that the Supra evolved from the 2000GT, the design of which was influenced strongly by the E-Type Jags. It's not really fair to say that though, since they're all obviously very different cars, but the evolution is still there :)

CCC

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
what's even more strange about those BMW's is that there's holes in the hood for the lights, instead of cutouts like our cars. so when you lift the hood, there's two huge holes there! weird!

-shaeff

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
shaeff said:
what's even more strange about those BMW's is that there's holes in the hood for the lights, instead of cutouts like our cars. so when you lift the hood, there's two huge holes there! weird!

-shaeff

I guess thats what you get when you pay 100k for a car, huh? lol. Not to mention a V12.

N

NDBoost

older trans am's

those 850's are relatively cheap too now adays. I want one really really bad. Supercharged V12 w/ dual exhaust :love:

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
MK3Brent said:
Who here has gone **half wave** then take your hand down when you realize it's a BMW 850ci?

:rofl: Those bastards always fool me.

LOL I'm at the mall with my girlfriend.. "HEY LOOK! A SUP..." *Shuts up*. *Girlfriend just shakes her head*.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
You must remember that in the late 80's when our cars were introduced, they were designed to meet head on with the corvettes and the like of the day. That being said, all other sports cars that it had to contend with had long front noses and placed the driver more towards the rear. Look at the vette, 300z, etc etc etc.

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
The orginal MKII I believe was designed by lotus. in 1980-81 Toyoyta bought
controlling stock in lotus, and the MKII was WAY WAY ahead of its time, and
there is a lotus car that uses the same suspension suppusedly.

Jeff

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
I drive a Lotus Supra. :)

I know who inspired the MKIII Supra....:(

Ford Probe. :(

No, Actually, the Older Trans Am/Camaro does have the same style front end...Fools me when I see them sometimes...But the number 1 car to fool me to think it's a Supra is when an FC3S (RX-7) is coming towards me, I'll do a double take thinking it's a Supra, and when it gets close, I realize how short it is...and then, once again, I'm let down. :(

Mob

May 17, 2005
Dayton, Ohio
I've always felt the same way about the 8-series BMW. I finally got to see one in person here a few months back, owner was really nice and the car was gorgeous.

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
MK3Brent said:
Who here has gone **half wave** then take your hand down when you realize it's a BMW 850ci?

:rofl: Those bastards always fool me.
*raises hand* :D
Sometimes I smile at them anyway for having a nice old car / MKIII lookalike, lol. There are much more 8 series over here than MKIIIs.

And who else here was like "no it can't be a MKIII, probably just another 8 series beemer", then realizing it actually WAS a MKIII? :D