where and how do I change my fuel filter?

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
Fuel filter was like the first thing I did on my Supra and it was easy as fuck, not much harder to get to than the oil filter...but yes you might as well troubleshoot a little more before going to change it.

albinobmx

Nov 27, 2010
Oregon
I changed the filter and it still wont run but my factory alarm seems to be tripin out. I tried to unlock the door to fix it but my battery is dead so I will put it on the charger and try in the morning. Any other thoughts that might help?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
LOL. We tried to tell you....

The factory alarm does not kill the engine, only the starter. If it cranks, the alarm is not it.

The fuse for the FP is the EFI fuse. You know you can check it manually by turning the ignition on and jumper FP and B+ in the diag block.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
albinobmx;1861537 said:
I changed the filter and it still wont run but my factory alarm seems to be tripin out. I tried to unlock the door to fix it but my battery is dead so I will put it on the charger and try in the morning. Any other thoughts that might help?

As a side bit of information, if you go to the passenger side (driver's side in glorious Japron) and cycle the lock a few times from the outside (unlock, lock, unlock, etc.) it should reset the alarm. I dont remember the specifics to the process other than that off the top of my head, but I had an obnoxious alarm system on one of my MkIIIs and had to do that often. I'm not exactly an electrical guru (and certainly wasnt at the time) so I wasnt sure about a more permanent fix; you might want to look into one.

I agree that on our cars, it isnt as common of a problem as on others, but it is getting to the age that especially if it has been sitting for a while, I'd consider doing it. I'm personally going to drop the tank as I'd rather drop it and clean it than drain it and "hope for the best," so that would also be the time to check/replace the filter.

albinobmx

Nov 27, 2010
Oregon
Ok I will test my pump but is there anything else Im forgetting? Maybe its not bad gas but it was over pressure or somthing like that when I spray starter fluid in my filter it runs for a moment or two. So its a fuel issue right?

albinobmx

Nov 27, 2010
Oregon
I changed the fuel pump and filter and it ran better then ever BUT . it wont start now after a good long drive and now I'm stuck 50 miles away from home. what is making it not run? it starts but dies and just wont stay at idol. HELP!!!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Check for codes.

Does it stay running if you give it throttle?

23 years and 260,000 miles on my fuel filter. No issues.

albinobmx

Nov 27, 2010
Oregon
No it starts then dies and when you give it throttle it bogs and dies but I just pulled the spark plug wire on the back cylinder and its soaked in oil so it might not be getting spark. Whats my next step?

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
New fuel pump might have went bad or you have a bad wiring connection. Also, check the intercooler piping, it will barely start and die if it blows a hose off. Where are you in Oregon?

albinobmx

Nov 27, 2010
Oregon
I'm in hoodriver right now but I live in sandy. I dont think its a fuel issue anymore but an oil leak that is soaking my plugs. What do the supra guru's say?

albinobmx

Nov 27, 2010
Oregon
All the bolts on my car are coming loose from all the gravel roads leading to my house. I tested my spark and its not the problem. I think the fuel system is bleeding off but there are no leaks. Is there a way to pressurize the system or? I have lost all brain power thinkin about what it could be that I lost all consintration and I need some real in put.