Whats your Supra story??

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
ok so im jsut doing this because i realized that yea, everyone on here has a supra, no duh, its pretty much a given, but... how? i know my story for mine isnt all that interesting but its still not just one of those run of the mill "hey i went to XX's car lot an bought this car, ya like it?" kinda deals, i feel that there are some very interesting stories on here and id like to hear a few if you all feel like sharing...
heres my short lil story

ok so a really long time ago, like when i was 16 maybe, there was an add in the paper for an NA supra not too far from where i live, i went to check it out and had no idea anyting about it, i used to be one of those people that only knew what a MKIV was, so i wanted to see. i test drove it and it had an interesting story of someone who worked at toyota back in the day bought it new, worked for toyota for like 10 more years and then retired, so it saw no road time past that at all, i drove it and i was in love, but sadly i couldnt afford insurance.
thats where my best friend comes into play, his name is casey and were just best frineds but we call each other brothers, well his mom got him an 87T the exact same color as that 86 NA that i drove, i was in love all over again, needlss to say i got rides whenever i wanted and occasionally got to drive, but he also had an FC RX7 that he had a lot of money into, so he didnt drive it as often as he shoulda, so his real brother bought it from him just cause he wanted it, but jeremy had a jeep that he always drove so once again it sat in mommas yard for like almost a year, then i suddenly couldnt take it anymore, i told him id pay him $100 a week, for fifteen weeks ($1500) if hed let me, and he did and ive been extatically happy ever since, even with the minor problems that all supras are bound to have.....

thats my story, sorry this thread is bound to be a long winded one, but i really wana hear this stuff guys, please do tell :sarcasm:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I read about the preproduction Supra's new engine and power over the Celica Supra, and it looked great also.

Easy enough sell. Just as soon as I could afford one.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
My story the final straw started one morning when I was on my way to work in my fully restored 68 dodge charger. I was about to head into a really sweet highway here in san diego county called the del dios highway, I come up to a light and this miata pulls up next to me, I hear this Ziiiiiiz Ziiiiz I looked over and the guy is smiling at me, so the light turns green and before I roll 10 feet this guy is a hundred feet ahead of me thats when I spot the Monster Miata emblem, Damnit that thing made my 500hp look like zilch. The next day, sat am I was at my computer and looked at trader pubs to see what my car was selling for. Only three for sale at the time, so I thought this is a great time to get rid of it and get something sporty not boaty. Fives days later two teenagers from belgium flew to LAX drove done and paid me a huge bundle of cash. So I start looking at Supras a car I always loved the lines and knew the potential of the inline 6 cyl twin overhead cams. I knew it was a luxury car, a sport car, decent on gas since I was driving 52 miles one way to work 6 days a week. I found my beauty owned by a Persian Engineer living in Irvine since new, the price was right 3200.00, so I went and drove it home beaming for ear to ear. I've had it since 2001 and loved every mile I've put on it. I'm currently looking for white hardtop turbo beater to fix up and make it into a weekend car.

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
im honestly really enjoying the way this thread is going, it makes me smile to hear the interesting and often very personal stories of how the supra-ness came to be

PROJECT N00b

XBL: Mkiii DriFt3r
May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
My story is pretty interesting/boring...depending on how you see it.

The Supra has been in the family since December of 1986 ^_^.

My aunt bought it from Toyota of Glendale back in the day. I remember riding in the back seats of a reddish car when i was a little kid, turns out it was the supra!

My aunt the original aunt sold it to my god mother after someone rear ended her in the miata.

Anyways, My godmother gave me the car for my grad present...for free!!! I dont remember when i started to love the car, all i know is that i didnt have my license yet.

the day i joined the forums was the day i really began researching on the MK3 supra. which happens to be 3 years ago ^_^

My dad how ever just picked up his 89 5spd HT GTE today for 2450. He saw it two weeks ago and fell in love ever since, hes like a little kid and it is his first turbo car. The car is silver and completely stock, it has a tear in the rear cover and the seats are a little faded. hes super excited about it and constantly says "Turbo" haha, its cool to see my dad finally getting something i love!

Last edited:

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
My full story is outlined in my build thread.

I went to a Toronto Supra Club meet in August of 2004. Directly after I sold my car and bought my Supra by mid October.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Dang Noob thats pretty awesome to have a car come down thru the family like that. In ours it was my Moms 67 Pontiac LeMans 326 slap stick, she always bought somewhat hot cars, she drove it till 71 gave it to my older brother who jacked it up, hopped it up, then after a year gave it to my sister who drove it till around 74 then It came back to Mom and I drove it for a while, but your car has really been in the family for while good story. My buddy still has his black on black 69 firebird 400 from when we went to HS in 75 sitting in his garage, one his four teenage daughters is gonna be a happy camper someday.

Jetjock owning since new is one Supra Loving guy no doubt. Damn and I looked at them in 89, but though naw I'm keeping my 70 dodge coronet I shoulda got the supra I was still a muscle head.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
I sorta liked Supras back then, but not so much until my older bro got one, but then after he decided to keep his I looked for a car I liked and my uncle had his Supra which he bought from the factory, but with decent amount of miles/a JDM 7MGE in it. I liked it for awhile, and still do, I just wish I had more power, but I've come to the realization that it's good for highway runs, but not stops (especially since I'm auto!)

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
Well mine isn't to exciting etheir. Back when I used to ride the bus to school in jr. high I would always see this white car under a tree in some guys front yard. I had already started to like supras because of the legendary fast and the furious! When I saw my first mkiii on sf I knew I wanted one. Back to the story I went and asked about it one day. He told me it needed and transmission and he wanted $500. I bought it and it sat for almost a year. I put a trans in it drove it all of high school and it went bhg last november. I was car less till the beginning of january trying to save to buy another one when I saw one at a small car lot on the way to my bank. I stopped to ask about it and it turned out to be a one owner 90 na auto with an almost mint interior. I talked him dwn to 2k and bought it the next day. Now its waiting for its new heart!
Edit: Speaking of handing down cars my mom had a 79 trans am when she got pregnant with me. It had the oldsmobile 400 in it. Kind of like the smokey and the bandit. She gave it to my dad and he gave it to me when I was about 13 or 14. Needless to say I sold it for my supra addiction.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
A friend of mine told me that he had just purchased an 88 turbo targa 5 speed for $1000 with a BHG. He was having the car delivered to his house. Sight unseen, I offered him $1500 right then and there, and he took it. So I had the car taken to my place where it sat in the back yard for a year, while I gathered up money for the engine, swap, clutch, and other goodies. That was almost six years ago since I purchased the car, and have only driven it 32k miles.

supradavenz

LOL HIES!
Apr 1, 2006
AUCKLAND, New Zealand
I kinda like my story... im not sure how old i was.. but i had just got my learners licence.. so maybe 16ish? my dad had this milk truck style truck we used as a shipping business.. after alot of hassle with the company he leased it to he decided to sell it.. some guy came around one day to look at it.. ended up swaping us a 89+ hot red auto 7mgte for the truck.. my brother at the time had his full-licence and a mitsi lancer GSR (the baby evo1) well.. after going to a golf driving range my dad let me drive the supra. at a set of lights we stopped at my brother happened to roll up next to us laughing at me driving and the car (he thought mitsi's > anything else) so i was like HA this cars cooler! soon as the lights went green BLAM the 7m just got up and went.. leaving the GSR behind.. just sitting behind that steering wheel with this digital dash flashing all kinds of things that just screamed power was pure extacy.. at that set of lights is where i fell in love with supra's :p

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
ok yea that is a freakin sweet one, its always good when you can make your own bro/sis feel kinda silly lol,

and jetjock yea i am 19 but ive been through so many cars by now i feel like its been a long time

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
I wasnt particularly looking for a SUpra when I found mine. I am just a Toyota buff so anything but a Tercel has my attention. A customer came in buying a bunch of parts and was telling me about this Supra that he had and needed to sell. The more he talked the more interested I had become. After his 3rd trip in I made arrangements to come look at it the next day. After looking it over I decided to pick it up and start the repairs/transformation.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I'll come back and read the stories later, but to keep the thread going:

My buddy Austin got his first car some years back while I was in high school. White '89 NA automagic, blue cloth interior, targa top.

I had my '77 Trans Am, so I didn't think much of it. Then he showed me the targa, and I was like 'holy shit this is sweet!'

He let me borrow the car once, while I was replacing the transmission in the TA, and I thought 'eh. Amazing interior, but balls slow (I had no idea about a turbo)'

Fast forward about 3 years, my TA got rearended by a fucking loaded SEMI on 441 heading north, so I buy a V6 5 speed Camaro (that promptly got a 16g turbocharger, lol) and then Austin's immaculate '89 gets sideswiped.

Ok, so Austin asks me to help him find another Supra. I just then found out about Turbo Supras, so we do some research, head down to Miami, and pick up an '88 Automatic, Turbo, Targa, leather, TEMS, maximum options for $2300. Has 167k miles at that point. We notice it runs rich, and it's got a code 52/64. So a knock sensor, and I think it was a speed sensor in the tranny.

At the time, Austin is in Wildwood, and I'm in Ocala, working 3 full time jobs (HELL) so I tell him to do basic maintenance, replace the knock sensor, and slowly fix it up.

2 years later, he's BHG'd it, never replaced the knock sensor, and needs a car quickly.

I hunt around (I have a knack for finding deals, lol) and I come across a black '87 5 speed NA sport package. The guy says it doesn't run, wants $500. I ask him what happened, and he tells me sweet words of wisdom - "I steam cleaned the engine bay and it won't run anymore. I'm no good with electronics, so I need to get rid of it ASAP"

I check it over, sure enough, water in the spark plug valley. I talk him down to $250, he signs over the title. I head to Advance Auto Parts, buy a battery (he didn't have one) and some rags, come back, and drive the car home :D

I fixed the brakes on it (rebuilt the calipers, replaced the brake hoses, new pads/rotors) and Austin paid me for the car + parts. He tried to pay me for the labor, but I was hearing none of it. Friends don't pay friends for help.

Fast forward another 8 months or so, and I get a phone call right around my birthday. Long conversation short, Austin turns down a guy that shows up with $3k cash, and hands me the title to the '88 loaded Turbo.

I have that car still. Have had it for a couple years now, and the more I've looked into the A70 platform, the more I can't believe I never heard of it until Austin got his!

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
My first car was a dark green JZA70….

Okay grated, it was In Gran Turismo 2, but I loved that car all the same. The looks, the power, the handling… I damn near completed the entire game with that car,

One night while on the Bus coming home from band practice, I was jotting down a couple of ideas for my first car. Just as I had pretty much decided on a MK1 Golf GTi, I looked out of the window and noticed black import ga70 on the roadside for sale. It was the first a70 I had seen in the metal, but I instantly knew it was a supra, and I knew that I wanted one.

I got off the bus at the next stop to get a closer look. I must have stood looking at this car for about 15 minutes, I was in awe.

As soon as I got home, I went on autotrader to check the prices of a70s and couldn’t understand why they were so damn affordable. I had always assumed that they were worth at least as much as an a80. I decided that I would one day become an a70 owner. I signed up to a couple of supra sites, and began researching.

Flash Forward a Year and a Half. I had just finished school and had managed to get myself some pretty good grades and as a result, my mother gave me the green light to buy a Supra, but being just my luck the supra market had slowed down considerably.

I did manage to find a Black 92 AT/Turbo a couple of miles away with a shagged bottom end, but the owner was dodgey as fuck – He didn’t have any keys, proof of ownership, didn’t want to be around when I went to look at the car and changed his story on how it broke multiple times. I decided to walk away.

I then found a 1988 NA/Auto for sale on the UK owners club and it was everything I was looking for – Black, Preface lift, local and it ran! It also only had 86k miles, had a full Toyota service history and the Headgasket had been replaced a matter of a couple of miles ago.

Once I gave the owner my word that I’d put it back on the road, he let me have it for £190 and threw in the MP3 head unit that he originally wasn’t going to sell with the car. Drove it home that very day and have been smiling ever since.

While I’d like to say I’ve finished the restoration work I had planned for it, I have to admit it’s been sitting for the last couple of months with a For Sale sign in the window. While I’d like to keep it and restore it, I’m beginning to realize that it would be a lot cheaper and a lot easier to sell my current supra, pick up an Aristo as a daily and import a JZA70 in a year or two.

I’m not too sure where my Supra story is going to go from here, but I’m damn sure that it’s going to end with me getting that dark green JZA70 I’ve been dreaming of since I was 9 years old…

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
A few years ago one of my friends picked up a 90 turbo targa 5 speed. Body was beat up but ran beautiful. Loved the body styling and eveyrhting like that. Well me and him lost touch for a little bit and another one of my friends had been searching for a new car for quite a while when he found his 91 tubro targa 5 speed. After gettin a couple rides in his car and him letting me drive it once or twice i was in love. The summer after i graduated i was driving my Aunt's Corolla and decided i needed another car since she is coming back form school. I start searching around and find one look at it 3000rpm idle turbo spools pushing coolant out of radiator and small puffs of white smoke. BHG nope not for me. Next couple weeks still lookin and i find one NA 5 speed hardtop. New brakes new paint BRAND new cat with literally 3 miles on it. Receipts for everything. 2700 later with rebuilt turbo spare rebuilt head and $30 and 3 hour drive i have my current supra. mKiii for life!!!!!!!! and 05' corolla for DD while supras gettin fixed he he he

rs4rush

Jan 25, 2007
Kirkland, Wa
Well it all started out Sep 12th… I think I was 16 my dad had a Hemi Cuda and for the longest time he told me it was going to be mine! I was extremely happy because well I was going to be getting my license very soon. Well times change finances were a bit rough and he had just bought a house. Well to make a long story short he sold it to a good home… Which was the best decision! I would have totaled that car. Any way’s one day I was cruising and I hear this mean sound… It was a red turbo supra roaring by me. Which was cool but wasn’t special… Intel I saw it kill a mustang. Well I had saved up money and bought Jake and Hydi black 89 5peed turbo which I loved in tell I had some nasty ignition problems, and wiring problems. So I fixed the problems and Kevin M and I were going to start building on it (Gt4088) well after a lot of thinking we decided it wasn’t in the condition we wanted it to be in for the build, so it went back home in the garage. Just shortly after that my mom passed away, I had sold her car to get some money for a new car (which she had told me to do in case of such thing happening). She had always told me that she was sorry she could never help with buying a nice car and that she hoped one day I got what I really wanted. So I waited patiently and found an immaculate pearl white, 91, turbo, T.E.M.S, 5speed in Oregon. I went down there on the train picked it up and drove it home. Kevin M and I put the gt4088 setup in and I moved to Spokane and now I am building it in memory of my mom. Oh and I traded my black supra for a mean green Honda civic as my daily driver!

ratpick63

detroit iron defector
May 4, 2006
Glendale, CA
Good thread idea....

How I came into the Supra world:

I was planning on moving with my girlfriend to California (from joklahoma) and considered what I had as cars and how they'd be: a hopped up '79 Cougar and '78 Caddy Fleetwood Brougham. Neither of which could pass smog and both got 10-15mpg at best. Also have a '68 Caddy Coupe deville which would've been smog exempt, but needs work to be a daily driver, plus only gets about 10 mpg on 91oct or better- not a good daily driver. So I decided to get something else. Painful to let go of two sweet cars (true "sweetness" could be debatable)

Now to find something. I missed my '88 CRX si, could drive the crap out of that little go-cart and never got less than 30mpg. But I wanted a rwd car. I had a beater '80 Corrola that I kinda liked so I considered an AE86 Corrola. I found one with like 230,000 miles and the guy wanted way too much money. "It's a drift car man" Whatever homo. I decided to look for just about anything that was Japanese, rwd and manual trans. Old Z car, RX7, Miata, something like that. Then I found a '86.5 Supra na 5spd just a couple blocks away. It was beat up and had a shitty interior and worn tires. But it ran hard. I bought it for $800. (couple pics on my profile) Drunken 3am parking lot donuts and I definitely loved the Supra. Then like two weeks later I some guy selling a '87 na 5spd for $200, didn't run. Had been sitting for almost two years and now he was moving and wanted it gone. I bought it and my friend pull it to my apt with his Neon!
It was getting close to time to move and I managed to sell the Caddy, Cougar and 86.5 Supra. But my Supra wasn't done yet. It turned out to be the day to move and I was still trying to get it started. It never did. I had to leave it behind and have my dad and friend tow it to my parents house after I had gone. Then, first christmas that I flew home I got it running and drove it the 1300 miles back to LA, with about three days to shake down problems on a car I had never driven before. Oh, I also had to re-teach my girl to drive a stick so she could share in driving duties. She only stalled it a few times. But the thing ran like a champ and cruised around 80-85mph the whole way.
I had my Supra! After a new catalytic converter it passed smog and was all legal and good. I love it.

(well, lots of other repairs were needed once I started driving it!)