whats a good oil filter to use?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Lol. Like shoveling against the tide...

Best for what? Value? Filtration? Construction quality? As if a full flow matters anyway. Right now I'm using a Mann-Hummel full flow combined with a TP bypass but the "best" spin on these days (as far as filtration betas go) are the synthetic media based Amsoil EAOs.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Toyota USA is bringing in the nice Made in Japan oil filters again, they are stocked in California. I've sold 30 of them in the last couple weeks (albeit 10 were to myself).

90915-20004.

I've got 10 more in transit to my dealership from the USA.

All sizes of made in Japan filters are in stock in California, 90915-10003, 90915-10004, 90915-20003, 90915-20004, etc.

90915-20003 is the factory size filter for the 7M/1JZ/2JZ, 90915-20004 is the larger one used on the V8's and newer large V6's.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
logan said:
These look good ......... any body using them ?

http://www.powerenterpriseusa.net/products/engine/oil_filter/index.htm

mag_cut.jpg

It looks good, but as usual the devil is in the details. I looked at the site and could not find any info on how well the filter performs...just the marketing crap from the above link.

There are two SAE tests that will give you an idea how well a filter performs:

SAE J806 - Tests the filter contaminant holding capacity, size of contaminant particles trapped, and ability to maintain clean oil.

SAE J1858 - Tests both particle counting and gravimetric measurement to measure filter capacity and efficiency. For example 40% at 10 microns, 60% at 20 microns, 93% at 30 microns, and 97% at 40 microns.

This filter has a silicone anti-drainback valve...a plus. The by-pass valve appears to be coil spring steel...also a plus, but is located at the top of the filter. That's ok, but if the filter goes into by-pass, oil will be flowed over a dirty filter element. The Wix has the by-pass located at the oil flow entrance.

Media wise, they make no mention of the material used. It would be good to know the surface area of the media and the number of pleats. No mention of flow rates either. I'm wondering why they are using a metal mesh to support the media on both sides. Unless it's a material that is easily collapsed, it should not be necessary.

The magnet is a good one too (more marketing hype)...it is very small. It will catch metal particles, but is located in the center of the media...the oil has already passed through the media to come in contact with it. If the filter is doing its job, there should be very few particles (as in none) left. If you want to use magnets, get neodymium magnets out of an old inop hard drive and stick them to the outside of the filter.

Another thing to consider is the metal casing...if you are running a high pressure oil system, this is very important. Unless you are willing to risk bursting the filter ;)

The filter JJ mentioned (Amsoil EAO) is probably the best spin-on filter available...it's expensive...as are filters like the Canton. If you really want to remove particles below 10 microns, use a by-pass filter in conjunction with a conventional spin-on.

Personally, I use a Wix filter. Hard to beat it (or the PureOne) for the price.

The Denso-Japan filters Jeff provided the part numbers for are quite good...the Toyota filters made in Thailand are average at best.

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
I have used the ams oil, and the mobile1 filters. It seems my high pressure system cant burst the mobile ones on start up so I use them ....especially in the winter for sold starts. this year I may use the Morossos that IJ reccomends. If you read this thread IJ post the Morroso model # or style for me.

suprajjang

Supra Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005
VA
i use mobil 1 oil filter. Its expensive but im lucky if i drive my car 50 miles in a month so i dont mind spending more money for the mobil 1 filter

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Mr. Sinister said:
Holy crap. What the hell happened?

rodknock, as it isn't too nice to your seals...

there are better, cheaper alternatives to royal purple with better additive packages.

If you're looking for serious info, look in the motor oil and lubricants section and if you have any question after reading the info there, ask jdub...

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Too*

(EDIT: Sorry, I'm bored, lol. Just curious if you were using the Denso USA ones, as I was considering them a while back and never got really great pictures of them IIRC... maybe I did, was just curious. I have the Made in Japan 10004/20004 filters now though, and plenty of them, so no worries anymore, lol.)