what year motor?

1987mk3

Dec 23, 2008
mosinee
sorry if the title doesn't match...i have a 7mgte motor(yellow plugs) from my previous build(sold the shell and tranny) but thinking that i should keep the motor and rebuild or sell it...i started that build not knowing anything so that is why i'm doing more research on 7mgte and these question(s) can be dumb but i need some help...correct me if i'm wrong...first thing i know is that i'm going to need money....the motor will fit in any year supra but will any year engine harness fit in any supra engine bay(86-92)? which motor year or what year supra has the most power without the motor breaking down as much or the most reliable? does anyone have a rebuilt r154 tranny that would like to share with me the $$ amount that was spent and the specs on what you did to it? i know there is a lot of good lowering set ups but which lowering set seem to feel the best for daily, 1/4 mile, and circuits?

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
1987mk3;1462322 said:
will any year engine harness fit in any supra engine bay(86-92)?
Yes any 86-92 engine harness will fit on any mkIII bay.
87-88 Yellow plugs
I don't want to spread F.U.D but there's been people stated that some 89 harness will plug to yellow plugs.Don't know so i don't want to say anything more about it.
89-92 Grey plugs
Just remember to use the same color harness and ecu.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
You need to get a harness that matches the VIN number for the car you are using it in! They will almost all fit the engine bay fine (a few changes over the years, but not bad), but you will have a hard time matching up under the dash, on the plugs away from the ECU.

There are plenty of different harnesses over the years!

rasmussenbc

Oct 16, 2008
Gig Harbor, WA
so if I have an 88 NA body, any year engine harness will match up with the chasis harness?

just making sure, I have a headache Im trying to figure out---88 NA 5spd shell---87 5spd turbo engine harness---89 turbo engine, no harness---about 5 ECUs Im not sure of.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
no. match the correct year harness/ecu with the year of the car or else your going to have problems and have to repin the connectors to get everything to work.

rasmussenbc

Oct 16, 2008
Gig Harbor, WA
hvyman;1478656 said:
no. match the correct year harness/ecu with the year of the car or else your going to have problems and have to repin the connectors to get everything to work.

ok, gotcha. so I need an 88 turbo harness then. will that mean big problems matching it with my 89 engine and harness?