What would you pay for perfectly clean/stock supra?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
:1zhelp: So I'm still waiting to find the right supra. I'm lookin for an N/A with abs and TEMS and airbags would be good. Preferrably 89+(mostly just for the airbags). I've seen more than a couple super clean, almost immaculate N/A's with under 100k and all the options, but some were asking 6 grand!?!?!

So my question to the knowledgable masses here....:icon_bigg

What should i look to pay for a really clean, stock N/A with all those options to use as a daily driver?

P.S. I dont need to hear fifty variations of ..."Dude just get a turbo..." I'm a working college student just looking or a better DD.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
suprarx7nut said:
So here's one I have been considering... I dont have the money yet, but I'm close.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v412/ScottyGT/?start=20

BTW ...asking $4600. Too much?

No airbags on that one, and you'd have to get rid of that hideous wing. I'd watch out for any other stupid things that might have been done to it in addition to the wing. Other than that looks pretty clean, I wouldn't pay $4600 though. Maybe $3k-ish.

My fiancee's brother bought a sub-100k miles 1990 Supra Turbo for $4500. It had some body damage, but nothing that affected the drivability of the car.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
^^The wing would definately be the first to go. So were airbags not even an option before 1990? I've seen a lot of 88's and 89's that said airbags, but I was pretty sure they were clueless, but I'm not really sure.

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Wait. You said you were looking for a Supra.
Supra's have turbo's. ;)

But seriously, I would hold up and get a stock turbo. But if its clean and well kept, depending on mileage maybe 5000 max?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
OneJoeZee said:

Twin cam, fuel injection for the loss? I know you 1JZ people are a little off, but this is serious.

Economics 101 stipulates that the price is whatever you are willing to pay. I don't think there is an abundance of low mileage Supras out there in good condition. So you won't find one for as low as some say.

Proof is that you tell him $2500, but I am willing to pay $4500 if the car is good enough. That means you won't get it.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Nick M said:
Proof is that you tell him $2500, but I am willing to pay $4500 if the car is good enough. That means you won't get it.

Ya, everyone keeps saying I shouldn't pay more than 2500, but unless everyone selling on autotrader or craigslist will take half of what they're asking.... I just cant find any priced anywhere near 2500 in good shape

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Ya but my accord is just annoying. I want a driver's car. My honda gets good gas milage, but its requiring a lot of maintenence lately and I'd rather be working on a Supra. The supras I've driven I absolutely loved. The accord is loud on the highway, feels like its gonna fall apart... I really want a touring type car. The supras are more powerful, drive MUCH MUCH better on the highway (which is 95% of my driving) and feel so much better to drive.

The accord feels like someone nailed a chair to the floor in a moving box.
The supras felt like i was in a cockpit of a car.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Well im still considering it, but its more money upfront, more to potentially go wrong, more likely to have been abused and to need work when i buy it........ Just more money/work than the N/A.

Right?

If I'm wrong please let me know, A turbo would be sweet

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
a really good condition care like the one you're looking at will probably require the same maintenence, turbo or not. sure there's more parts and more stuff to go wrong, but it it's not catastrophic. NA supras can get BHG too. and will have all the same problems an old car will have.

I daily drive my blue car before this one and will continue to do so with the black one. before I put the 1J in the blue one, I was still daily driving it with minimal issues.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Dammit, now you're just makin me think it over more. haha. Well I suppose thats good.

SO NOW...>>>> HOW MUCH SHOULD A GOOD TURBO COST?!?!

Could 4 grand get a Turbo that needs no work? (89+)

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
If you're looking for a car that needs NO work, you're gonna look for a very long time. It's probably not gonna happen.

Even as nice as the car that I just bought is, there's probably always going to be things on the do list. but they're not major and don't stop me from driving the car everyday.

Just keep your eye out for really good deals. 4-5k should be able to buy a pretty decent turbo car that doesn't need too much work and should be fairly reliable if the upkeep is there.