what went wrong?

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
ok so this summer I swapped a 1jz into my supra and after I got it running it was overheating ect, which lead me to believe the hg was blown so I pulled off the head and sure enough there was coolant and oil in between the layers of the gasket. so got the gasket set from drift motion and set off changing hg and other gaskets.

now the problem. I put the head back on and today I got the car all back together. I started it up and it ran pretty badly so I turned it off checked some wires and found nothing. so I started the car again and went to look at it while it was running and to my disbelief there was milky oil pouring out of the back turbo! so I turned it off right away. most of my oil just poored out there it was super milky. I'm vary frustraited and this just happened so I havn't really checked anything yet. I checked the oil lines to the turbo and they weren't tightened down. I thought I did tighten them but I guess not so thats why it came out the turbo but still what the crap! It has to be a problem with the hg right? I torqued it down to stock specs(25 lb., then 90 degrees, then another 90.) I really just don't even know where to start. can somebody please please help me?

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
airhead04;1474162 said:
you didnt happen to cross a coolant line and a oil line by chance did you???

Also, how many lbs of torque did you put the head at, at the final torqueing?

I redid a few coolent lines so its possible but I really really doubt I did that. besides that wouldn't make it run bad. all the repair manual said 25 lb. 90 deg 90 deg. noting on the final torque but I had the torque wrench set to 100 lb so less then that.

supra_kid101

Oct 28, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
kelson;1474169 said:
I redid a few coolent lines so its possible but I really really doubt I did that. besides that wouldn't make it run bad. all the repair manual said 25 lb. 90 deg 90 deg. noting on the final torque but I had the torque wrench set to 100 lb so less then that.

I'm no expert but mixing oil and coolant together is always a bad thing to do.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Ok, 1st, crossing coolant and oil = instant DEATH for a car. Milky oil is extremely bad. 2nd you need to find out the correct torque and torqueing pattern. If it wasnt torqued completely down, then it wont seal causing horrible conditions.

Crossing lines is bad man, in fact its one of the worst things you can do.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Find out the torqueing patterns and the proper lbs of torque.

Check your lines, ALL OF THEM.

Milky oil is a very bad sign, did you happen to throw any codes when you turned the car on?

Dont run the car anymore, until you figured out whats wrong.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
airhead04;1474172 said:
Ok, 1st, crossing coolant and oil = instant DEATH for a car. Milky oil is extremely bad. 2nd you need to find out the correct torque and torqueing pattern. If it wasnt torqued completely down, then it wont seal causing horrible conditions.

Crossing lines is bad man, in fact its one of the worst things you can do.

i did have the correct pattern and I'll check the lines but I didn't touch any oil lines so I don't see how I could have crossed them

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
airhead04;1474175 said:
Find out the torqueing patterns and the proper lbs of torque.

Check your lines, ALL OF THEM.

Milky oil is a very bad sign, did you happen to throw any codes when you turned the car on?

Dont run the car anymore, until you figured out whats wrong.

no codes and don't worry I definitelly won't run it

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Right - you need to pull that engine. Sounds to me like you need a rebuild - a headgasket alone won't cut it. If you have Mayonnaise oil, sorry, its time to get the block cleaned, new bearings and have your crank checked out.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
airhead04;1474181 said:
Kai is right. Your bearings are more then likely done for.

Where did the milky oil come out of, be as specific as you can be when describing it please

why would the bearings be done for?

the oil send and return line atatch to the turbo on the same flange. thats where it came out. around the flange

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Bearings hate water. They will seize up, not exactly but in lamens terms. And cause the remarkable rod knock.

When you go out to your car again, check the head bolts for the torque. (see how much torque you actually put on them)

Itll help in the problem solving.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The HG blew for a reason, if you just removed head and slapped a headgasket on it mor than likely it's not going to seal...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
clown.bmp