What Tranny?

1jzMoe

Supramania Contributor
Apr 2, 2005
Vilseck, Germany, Germany
For the R154 you need a 1jz bellhousing for it to bolt up, the w58 is a lot weaker than the r154 so i would suggest against using the w58 with a 2jz or a 1jz if you are going to upgrade it past bpu. Good luck finding a 6 speed and getting it to work, a few people have done it, and it takes a lot of time and money to get in, and you have to modify the car car a tranny(specifically the shifter) a little to get it to fit, then you will need a new driveshaft. So basically its alot of work.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
yeah usually a getrag will cost as much as a 2jz hehe. then there is the whole making it physically fit into your car (you gotta do quite a bit of body work to my understanding, it wont physically fit in, same with the non turbo mkiv's)

so for about the same price as fitting a getrag in you could have a kickass powerglide or th400 ready for the 10 second runs...

but in the end it just depends on what you plan to do to your 2jz

locustreign

Jun 25, 2007
livermore
yeah i knew most of this stuff.

the bellhousing match up stuff was informative.

thanks.

one last thing. so if i just were to keep a 2jz or 1jz stock the r154 would be fine? as well as my diff?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
R154, AND your rear end will support a hell of a lot more power then a stock motor :)

There's people putting down over 800hp on the stock tranny and diff.

A V160 is useless in a MKIII. You'll never find a rear-end to go with it. Stock rear-end for a V160 is a 3.2. The smallest you'll find for a MKIII is a 3.73, (or a 3.5 if you look REALLY hard).