What should i expect........

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Ok so parts are on the way, thanks to driftmotion and sm classifieds, thanks guys.

I have a stock 7mgte that i am upgrading. I am currently running a stock hg with arp studs will i run into any issues up to 400 hp?

I am going to be installing a 57trim ct26, manual boost controller (for now), 3in downpipe back exhaust, driftmotion 7mgte intercooler kit, afpr kit, walbro 255 fuel pump, denso 560cc injectors and clips, lex afm, innovate wideband, apexi safc, upgraded clutch, one piece driveshaft.

My concerns are fuel, tuning and boost psi (stock hg max). Are there any mods i will need to do such as the 12v mod for fuel pump? On the tuning what would be a good base on the safc just for starters on stock boost? I am going to have the car properly tuned and adjusted as necessary just need the basics cause i am gonna have to drive there. Once tuned i wanna get the most out of the oe style head gasket i can so info on that would help.

So please any and all info will be greatly appreciated thanks, also build thread coming soon with pics.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
89supra7mgte;1560500 said:
I have a stock 7mgte that i am upgrading. I am currently running a stock hg with arp studs will i run into any issues up to 400 hp?

probably...just change it now then you will never have to worry

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
I have another engine that i am building as well, kinda like a comparison, stock to metal you know. thats why i wanna push this one to the edge but still be safe. the other build is gonna get a metal for sure.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
ok then why two different builds? why don't you just leave the engine be and put all you're funds towards your other engine?

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
So what exactly is the purpose of the 12v mod? And when is necessary?

Reason for two builds is cause i can lol!!! I wanna see what i can pull on stock engine, internals and such. The other build is gonna be a min of a year. I am gonna build it from the inside out, and add these bolt ons later. Plus i want the power now i am tired of these ricers with "go fast" mufflers. Gotta put in some work.

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
89supra7mgte;1560500 said:
Ok so parts are on the way, thanks to driftmotion and sm classifieds, thanks guys.

I am going to be installing a 57trim ct26, manual boost controller (for now), 3in downpipe back exhaust, driftmotion 7mgte intercooler kit, afpr kit, walbro 255 fuel pump, denso 560cc injectors and clips, lex afm, innovate wideband, apexi safc, upgraded clutch, one piece driveshaft.

My concerns are fuel, tuning and boost psi (stock hg max). Are there any mods i will need to do such as the 12v mod for fuel pump? On the tuning what would be a good base on the safc just for starters on stock boost? I am going to have the car properly tuned and adjusted as necessary just need the basics cause i am gonna have to drive there. Once tuned i wanna get the most out of the oe style head gasket i can so info on that would help.

So please any and all info will be greatly appreciated thanks, also build thread coming soon with pics.

I'm a little stumped, why would you want to have that little worry in the back of your head everytime
you boost thinking "I hope my HG doesn't blow" and then pay for a tow back home if it does blow.
Your spending all this money and putting all these bolt ons but
not actually worrying about the motor itself inside? Why?

Is the stock HG brand new? or the old one?

If its the old one, you mise well hang up on your 400hp goal.

"Once tuned i wanna get the most out of the oe style head gasket i can so info on that would help."
Are you trying to prove a point? make a statement? solve a myth? WHY not get your motor machined, hot tanked, etc
and put on a MHG?!

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
I will have know worries of blowing the hg, if tuned properly. If so my problem, and my error. Live and learn right? I am not trying to prove a point or any of that that you mentioned. I dont know what the big ordeal is about using a stock head gasket? just replaced less than 100 miles, just did the 5 heat cycle retorque.
Not worried about the inside either cause from what i have seen heard and read the internals are good up to 500 hp i believe. i am nowhere near that, also why stock hg doesnt really bother me.

If you skipped a post i stated that i have another engine that i am rebuilding machining, internals, mhg and so on.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
I6: there is absolutely no need to go full blown on the headgasket issue and do all the things you listed....there are more than a few people running new, OEM headgaskets torqued to a higher spec at higher power levels, and have been doing so for quite some time. It's all in the tune.

The 12V mod provides 12V to the fuel pump at all times, instead of 9V at lower ish RPMs and 12V at upper/WOT rpms. The flow of gasoline between 9V/12V is not the same, so it's a hurdle that you'll have to tune for. Providing a constant 12V source will just help ease the tuning process is all.

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
SideWinderGX;1560692 said:
I6: there is absolutely no need to go full blown on the headgasket issue and do all the things you listed....there are more than a few people running new, OEM headgaskets torqued to a higher spec at higher power levels, and have been doing so for quite some time. It's all in the tune.

The 12V mod provides 12V to the fuel pump at all times, instead of 9V at lower ish RPMs and 12V at upper/WOT rpms. The flow of gasoline between 9V/12V is not the same, so it's a hurdle that you'll have to tune for. Providing a constant 12V source will just help ease the tuning process is all.

89supra7mgte;1560674 said:
I will have know worries of blowing the hg, if tuned properly. If so my problem, and my error. Live and learn right? I am not trying to prove a point or any of that that you mentioned. I dont know what the big ordeal is about using a stock head gasket? just replaced less than 100 miles, just did the 5 heat cycle retorque.

Not worried about the inside either cause from what i have seen heard and read the internals are good up to 500 hp i believe. i am nowhere near that, also why stock hg doesnt really bother me.

If you skipped a post i stated that i have another engine that i am rebuilding machining, internals, mhg and so on.

And to an extent i completely agree with both of you...

But if the material used on the 7M's were perfectly fine then how come when the JZ series came
they used MHG's?

All it takes is the AFR's to change drasticly over some odd reason, cause det and bam you got a BHG.

I'm not trying to badger you in any way, just curious as of why you want to "Live and Learn" when majority of the people
here have already done that and elaborated...

But regardless good luck on your build man. Best of luck.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
correct maybe live and learn was not the correct phrase, but people have done it with good tune and have no issues. If i were to tear the engine out strip it down just to hav e it machined for the mhg i might lose interest on doing the whole thing. Its just something that i dont wanna do on this engine.

On the 12v mod do you have any links that can further assist me in getting it set up? I tried searching and it brings up a few but they are not helpful. thanks

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
as people have stated, the 12v mod is not necessary for you. i am running the walbro 255 and 680cc injectors with an afpr and safc and i did not dothe 12v mod and mine runs fine. maybe im just lucky or maybe i will have problems later since ive just finished my build and have only been driving it this way for about a month. however, if it is something youre set on doing im sure someone will chime in. i have seen many threads about it, just havnt located them again.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
I6Boost;1560734 said:
And to an extent i completely agree with both of you...

But if the material used on the 7M's were perfectly fine then how come when the JZ series came
they used MHG's?

All it takes is the AFR's to change drasticly over some odd reason, cause det and bam you got a BHG.

I'm not trying to badger you in any way, just curious as of why you want to "Live and Learn" when majority of the people
here have already done that and elaborated...

But regardless good luck on your build man. Best of luck.

The material was fine on the 7M's, the torque spec was not. The most common explanation for the HG problem is that Toyota changed the HG material at the last second and left the torque spec the same...something that shouldn't have happened haha.

MLS headgaskets provide more room for error with detonation and such. They'll withstand a lot more abuse than an OEM style headgasket, but that doesn't mean it is impossible to blow. Some people slap on an MLS just to have that extra buffer zone, with every intention of using it because their tunes aren't all that good ;) If everything is done correctly (proper wiring, new parts and sensors where necessary, TUNE, etc.) the chances are almost none that you'll ever have a problem.

12V mod isn't necessary, you'll be fine without it.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
cool thanks guys. BTW if you guys that are running bigger injectors and pump with no 12v mod, would you mind pm'ing some tuning advice? I only ask so much about because of having to "tune around" it? kinda throws me off.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
i did not have to do any "tuning around" with my set up. just leave the stock 02 sensor hooked up as well as your wideband. get an afpr so you can set your base fuel pressure and the TCCS will take care of all the low throttle and cruise stuff. i am using an safc and i have my high and low set to70% and 69% because the computer will "fix" everything below 69% since it is in closed loop at that point. therefore, if you try to tune low throttle and cruise with safc/safr etc it will just be pointless and the ecu will fight every correction you make. if someone else disagrees or wants to add anything feel free.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
elaborate more on your tuning for me please i have an safc that will be in use as well. When you 69 and 70 you are refering to throttle percent right? So what you are saying is that under normal throttle i should not have to correct the fuel? What about the decel air, is that something that would adjust for having an open dump bov?

Aside from pro tune, what would be the best settings or tune for street? atleast a base tune before the dyno tune?