what do you think am i running rich or missing something

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
Ok here is what i have going on.

When i drive the car some times between shifts i have some pops coming out of my exhaust some times small some times big and sometimes non at all. This is coupled with the fact that you get a light hit of gas-ish smell when driving the car but not all the time.

I have Checked the Plugs and they are all perfect Examples of a good working and clean plug. They are all gapped to 28. I have also looked over the fuel lines and see no leaks nor have i seen any puddles or drips under the car.

Any ideas as to whats going on or is this normal for the 1J to smell and be that rich?

No i do not have a WB yet and do not have the cash for one or pretty much anything at the moment

Ninja Edit: I have also done a compression test with Flying colours all just around 160

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
mine does the same damn thing

when i left of the gas to shift and shift and get back on the gas when cruising it will pop and almost bog for a second like its going pig rich....almost like a 7M with open BOV.....we're thinking TPS

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
bobiseverywhere said:
Ninja Edit: I have also done a compression test with Flying colours all just around 160

Damn you and your high compression......................:3d_frown:

I still only get 135 when I check mine, even with it warmed up.

It definately sounds like it's running rich. Ric he has a manual transmission.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
Hm, that gets a new 1jz auto owner every time (ign retard during shift).

It's also very normal for a 1j to run rich, they all do. They are factory tuned for higher octane fuels and no EGR to burn off the excess.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
i backfire when i let off due to having a 3" with no cat, and a BOV vented to atmosphere. I dont think its a big deal as long as ur mileage is decent.

~scott

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
suprahero said:
Damn you and your high compression......................:3d_frown:

I still only get 135 when I check mine, even with it warmed up.

It definately sounds like it's running rich. Ric he has a manual transmission.

are you serious Jay?? :( did you have the bowls touched up when you did your head work? what is the latest on your stuff anyway sorry that i haven't kept up on it

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
I try to drive most of the time out of boost, but i will say that my HKS Gauge shows the Engine coming out of vacuum or having allot less vacuum all the time when i accelerate at almost any rate just barley touching the pedal and with the turbos i'll be almost at 0 vacuum

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
bobiseverywhere said:
are you serious Jay?? :( did you have the bowls touched up when you did your head work? what is the latest on your stuff anyway sorry that i haven't kept up on it

I am serious. All I know that he did to the head was port and polish. He also did a three angle valve job. I've checked my compression three times, and once Aaron and I checked it. It's definately 135-140 accross the board. I'm going to be looking for a 2jz block to build and then install my 1jz head on it. That should give me a little more low end power, although I"m going to use the same cams. The 272 small core cams really make my car sluggish out of the hole, but they more than make up for it on highway runs............:evil2:

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
suprahero said:
I am serious. All I know that he did to the head was port and polish. He also did a three angle valve job. I've checked my compression three times, and once Aaron and I checked it. It's definately 135-140 accross the board. I'm going to be looking for a 2jz block to build and then install my 1jz head on it. That should give me a little more low end power, although I"m going to use the same cams. The 272 small core cams really make my car sluggish out of the hole, but they more than make up for it on highway runs............:evil2:

:) Nice stuff, so you did 44X RWHP with your compression that low? :biglaugh: nice stuff the 2J on the bottom end will be nice too :) and really easy to swap in. Can't wait to see the numbers you get on that and the power band.

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
well, according to some people, 160 is low... mine was 165. Stan's is 180 and is making really good power, however 180 does not compute for a 8.5:1 compression engine.

crc1.jpg