What did you do to your supra today? Pics

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Quick question, what do you need to run a downpipe on a stock 7MGTE? because that will increase flow and ultimately make me reach fuel cut right? So that means lexus AFM and 550cc injectors and what else?

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
Zrain25;1920508 said:
Yesterday I found out my supra has had the head gasket done by one of the p/o and I also found arp head studs installed... So happy

Today I went to Pepboys. Haven't been there in 5 weeks or so. The whole store is different. They got a whole cabinet full of aem gauges, auto meter gauges. A whole diesel performance isle. There selling arp studs and bolts. It's like a whole new store it's called the speed shop section

I picked up a new aem dry flow and some black wrinkle paint

View attachment 65305
View attachment 65306

Got the valve covers done, ps tank, and afm housing. It hasn't dried completely so I gutta keep them out for a few days

You have lovely counter tops haha.

Got these goodies for my car :)

ydavuge7.jpg

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
doesnt matter... with stock hg.. your looking at retorque as a maintenance routine and also just a little less bulletproof. With a properly done MHG and ARP studs you wont have to retorque your head again. And if your pushing your old girl a little harder (especially at 400 HP) I would still go MHG as a rule just because your putting a bit more stress on an old block and head. Its not that much more, but it does require you to lap the block which is difficult to do properly with the engine in the car. (Can be done, but not as easily)

Of course.. you'll know more when you pull the head and see what condition your block is in. If it has had a slight leak over time, the combustion gases can be caustic to the block leaving some pits that need to be dealt with. Again.. you'll know better when you see the block.

funny thing though.. I like the look of the engine with the block off.. lol.

and just as a side note.. I personally have found that when you pull the head you notice the wear in the cylinders and if you have issues, the engine needs to be pulled anyway. Good time to recondition the head as well. Love my car now that everything under the hood is basically new.. lol. Costly, but I dont have any concerns other than watching fluid levels and doing regular maintenance now. The past 5 years I have spent waiting for a failure... not anymore.

And on a What did I do to my Supra today....

I looked outside and chastised myself because it snowed a lot and my car is on the road instead of under a cover... (first winter that has occured thanks to all the shop trips)

...and the intercooler and HKS SSQV4 has arrived from Drift motion...

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
HMNGSupraMKIII;1920538 said:
Yea, thats the reason I'm just going stock hg. In the end, I'm only planning on around 400hp for my supra.

I'm a firm believer that you can accomplish a lot with a stock HG. Once you get to around 400hp (bhp, not wheel hp) there's plenty of other upgrading that can be done to the car to bring the rest of the chassis up to the level of the engine's power. What I mean to say is for me, having that approximate power is great fun and there becomes more bang for your buck at that point to upgrade the entire car. Suspension, Interior, ICE, general cosmetic restoration etc...

I say go stock HG and enjoy that power while you gain experience and upgrade the car as a whole until it's a pristine example of a mk3.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Doat;1920550 said:
Quick question, what do you need to run a downpipe on a stock 7MGTE? because that will increase flow and ultimately make me reach fuel cut right? So that means lexus AFM and 550cc injectors and what else?

Most people see 11psi after a full exhaust and downpipe. That should put you just under fuel cut.
If you want to play it safe then go ahead with the lexus AFM and 550's.

I know your altitude can play a factor in when fuel cut is hit. Will you hit fuel cut sooner at lower altitude or higher?
I think it’s at lower because of the dense air but don’t remember for sure.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
AbsoluteSpeed;1920613 said:
Most people see 11psi after a full exhaust and downpipe. That should put you just under fuel cut.
If you want to play it safe then go ahead with the lexus AFM and 550's.

I know your altitude can play a factor in when fuel cut is hit. Will you hit fuel cut sooner at lower altitude or higher?
I think it’s at lower because of the dense air but don’t remember for sure.
So I just need the AFM and injectors and nothing else right? I thought I remember reading that you also had to have an SAFC or something of the sort for the ECU.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Doat;1920621 said:
So I just need the AFM and injectors and nothing else right? I thought I remember reading that you also had to have an SAFC or something of the sort for the ECU.

Nope, ecu will 'think' everything is stock while running 25% more air/fuel.
If you want to fine tune or use bigger injectors then youll need something like the SAFC.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Doat;1920665 said:
And letting the ECU think everything is normal is a bad thing i assume lol

No this is fine. With the Lex AFM and 550s you are getting 25% more air and 25% more fuel...so your AFR will be right about the same.

The AFM tells the ECU through a voltage how much air is coming in so the ECU can give the right amount of fuel. For example, with the stock AFM and stock injectors the AFM sends X volts to the ECU which indicated Y amount of air, ECU says ok we need Z amount of fuel for Y amount of air and it does the proper pulse width of the injectors to get Z amount of fuel.

With the Lex AFM and 550 injectors the AFM still sends X volts to the ECU which indicated Y amount of air...but in reality you are getting 1.25*Y amount of air (25% more because the housing is larger)...the ECU says ok we need Z amount of fuel for Y amount of air and it does the same proper pulse width of the injectors...but because the injectors are 25% larger you actually get 1.25*Z amount of fuel for the same given pulse width.

Y/Z = 1.25Y/1.25Z = Same AFR

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
DeMoN2318;1920673 said:
No this is fine. With the Lex AFM and 550s you are getting 25% more air and 25% more fuel...so your AFR will be right about the same.

The AFM tells the ECU through a voltage how much air is coming in so the ECU can give the right amount of fuel. For example, with the stock AFM and stock injectors the AFM sends X volts to the ECU which indicated Y amount of air, ECU says ok we need Z amount of fuel for Y amount of air and it does the proper pulse width of the injectors to get Z amount of fuel.

With the Lex AFM and 550 injectors the AFM still sends X volts to the ECU which indicated Y amount of air...but in reality you are getting 1.25*Y amount of air (25% more because the housing is larger)...the ECU says ok we need Z amount of fuel for Y amount of air and it does the same proper pulse width of the injectors...but because the injectors are 25% larger you actually get 1.25*Z amount of fuel for the same given pulse width.

Y/Z = 1.25Y/1.25Z = Same AFR
Ah so basically it evens out it's like where I am now but just with 25% more air and fuel.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
A full 3" exhaust system? What worries me is the end of the exhaust where we have that weird radical bend that leads to the muffler.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
I spent the last few days dialing in my throttle stop and TPS to fix the idle and this miss I was having. Then I turned the fuel pressure down some to try and pass emissions.

Failed emissions miserably...more than double all the limits.

Did some research on causes of high emissions...dirty air filter and lean condition (interesting). So I decided I would clean the air filter and richen it up some and try again.

In order to get the filter out I had to remove a good amount of IC piping...then the filter was wedged in so tight I had to remove the accordian/AFM/filter assembly...While doing so the turbo side of the accordian hose crumbled. Thankfully awhile ago I purchased a stainless turbo intake pipe off ebay, supposedly made for the mk3 supra, so I decided I would put that on while I was in there. It was too long and I had to cut it...even after cutting, it was too long for me to fit my filter. So I went to autozone and jimmy jacked up a filter system for the time being...its a tiny filter made for a 2.5'' carb (WAAAAYYY to small but I didn't want to run with no filter). Finally get everything together and by this time the emissions place had closed. I took the car for a drive and it ran like shit. Checked the codes and had 34 (turbo pressure) and a 41 TPS...

I guess my TPS wasnt set correctly like I though...

Can anyone explain why a lean condition would cause high HC, CO, and NOX? I would have expected that a lean condition would give off less emissions...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You need to look at a lot of things.. are your cats on the car still and are they clogged? Is your EGR functioning? It shouldn't have been that much work/difficulty to do the air filter either.. you still have the stock housing? Im running stock housing (adapted for the Lexus AFM) and the OEM paper air filter. Wont be changing that either actually (after much careful thought).

As for the 3" exhaust, the only real restriction is the stock turbo elbow and the diameter. Going to 3" with a Divorced down pipe (mine's reintegrated) will open the engine up and allow it to breathe correctly. Its probably the first single most important upgrade for a 7mgte in my opinion.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Grandavi;1920694 said:
You need to look at a lot of things.. are your cats on the car still and are they clogged? Is your EGR functioning? It shouldn't have been that much work/difficulty to do the air filter either.. you still have the stock housing? Im running stock housing (adapted for the Lexus AFM) and the OEM paper air filter. Wont be changing that either actually (after much careful thought). .

No cats. Not stock filter housing...open Spectre filter.

I havent checked the EGR system yet...I will check the TSRM tonight on how to check it

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
DeMoN2318;1920682 said:
What about it worries you?
How would you mount a full 3in exhaust there or do you just have it hang below the control arms and such?
Grandavi;1920694 said:
You need to look at a lot of things.. are your cats on the car still and are they clogged? Is your EGR functioning? It shouldn't have been that much work/difficulty to do the air filter either.. you still have the stock housing? Im running stock housing (adapted for the Lexus AFM) and the OEM paper air filter. Wont be changing that either actually (after much careful thought).

As for the 3" exhaust, the only real restriction is the stock turbo elbow and the diameter. Going to 3" with a Divorced down pipe (mine's reintegrated) will open the engine up and allow it to breathe correctly. Its probably the first single most important upgrade for a 7mgte in my opinion.
I plan on replacing the cats with high flow cats I mean 20 year old cats might as well replace them now while I am under the car right? I cleaned out my EGR valve when I did my head gasket along with everything else, so I am not worried about the motor. I have an aftermarket LLP adapter for the filter along with a KN filter for the turbo. Would the adapter fit on the lexus AFM or would I have to get a new one?

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
DeMoN2318;1920703 said:
No cats. Not stock filter housing...open Spectre filter.

I havent checked the EGR system yet...I will check the TSRM tonight on how to check it

Well there's your problem lol. If I had to deal with emissions I'd be using a high flow cat of some sort.