well.....she broke :icon_sad:

BoostFreak

Nov 11, 2005
Ohio
went up to my shop today, cranked over the beast, she was idleng fine as always waiting for her to worm up after about 5 min.. I hear clanking and ratling sounds really small like somthing ratling in the intake, I quickly turn her of and remove the upper IC pipe, smoke is rolling out of the TB check the compressor wheel...nope all fins intaked, tried to crank her over again, nastiny grinding sound so I didn't even get past 2 cranks didn't want to mess anyting else up, I think a small peice of aluminum got sucked in the intake and is keeping a vavle open, not sure tho these heads are none collision heads correct? so I shouldn't have bent a valve, I will remove the head as soon as I get a chance just hop she is still salvagable..what do you think happend?

87CandyBlueT

Banned
Feb 8, 2006
Kentucky (NKY)
If the 7mgte won't bend the valves then take the timing cover off and inspect or even crank. If the belt is snapped you should be able to tell. If it's missing alot of teeth in one spot it will rock back and fourth while your cranking it. If either of those occurs, replace timing belt. Do the compression test that Justin suggested also.

BoostFreak

Nov 11, 2005
Ohio
not the timing, belt is still intack and not messing any teath, makes a horible sound when I tried to crank it so I'm afraid to keep turning it over..

BoostFreak

Nov 11, 2005
Ohio
I'm just scared to start it tho I don't want to mess up the head any more than it alread is. is it posible that a small aluminum shaving from the IC piping I cut (I though I got it all off but) could have done this, should I try starting it again and see if I can just flush it out?

BoostFreak

Nov 11, 2005
Ohio
just turn it over by hand then? and if I find low or no compression in on cylender what then I still think a peice of aluminum is stuck on a valve and keeping it open I just don't want to be rebuilding a head or replacing a valve or anything

BoostFreak

Nov 11, 2005
Ohio
/\ thats what I thought, but I can see the timing belt and its fine, just not sure what could of happend posibly somthing with the tranny or anything just when I cranked it over it was almost a grinding sound like when you turn the starter over while the car is running..I just don't know of anything bigger than a small peice of aluminum shaving. how big a peice would it take to do this if any could because I went over all of it with a hand fiel and sand paper so nothing bigger than 1-2 mm could have been left

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
i had the front lip of the lower timing gear pop off and it made a rattleing clanking noise similar to what you described only lower... just a thought,

also how is the play in your turbo shaft?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Even if a fairly large bit went in all that would happen is it might get stuck under a valve and cause a compression leak in that cylinder and it would idle really badly.

Something else has let go to be making that sort of noise :(.

BoostFreak

Nov 11, 2005
Ohio
found out what it was, the crank timing gear rear guide had decentigrated and the timing belt moved all the way to the back and became aroun 100 or so degrees off time thats why it was detonating in the intake manifold, so I will be replacing that soon, is the dealer the best place to buy it from? oh and just to make sure these arn't collison heads like all other ge series heads right? shouldn't have damiged anything should it off being off time that much?

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
I was closest..:) lol No it wont hurt the valves, they are non interferance engines.. Jeff says the belt is 28-38$ at the dealer, I called mine today and was told $45.. but call around..I dont think they vary much from brand to brand....

BoostFreak

Nov 11, 2005
Ohio
yeah i have the belt its the crank geear that I need and conilie parts want like $48 plus shipping for it, but I don't think the dealer will be much more