website feedback

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
I've been working the past week or so redesigning my site. I am not 100% finished yet, but the basics are done. Still need to re-code some of the gallery so it will pass validation.

For those who know about web design, you'll know my site was barely functional before. coded barely correct enough to work. This past week Ive busted my tooshie trying to get everything to be absolutely correct. Half the site so far passes XHTML validation, which I'm really happy about. A lot of even well known websites don't pass validation, such as google.

Anyway, I would like some feedback or if anyone could spot errors, please point them out to me.

http://www.freewebs.com/supragoddess/

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
wow, you have a well designed website. Good Job. I'm designing a website myself, but yours is much more complex than mine.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I like it! And yes, I looked at the code too. You're even using CSS. :)

I still haven't gotten around to making sure my whole website validates. The trouble with mine is that a lot of HTML is generated dynamically by PHP on my site so I can't just type URLs into the validator and have it check everything for me.

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Tanya said:
This past week Ive busted my tooshie trying to get everything to be absolutely correct.

Im sorry about your broke tooshie Tanya hopefully it heals up well for you...lol:biglaugh:

Site looks great and is really done well great job. I learned a bunch about the MK2 I didnt know from spending 5 minutes in your site.

For those of you that have not done business with Tanya she is top notch. Everything I have gotten from her has been outstanding and shipped well.

Congrats on the new site Tanya and best of luck to you in the future..:icon_bigg

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
speed dodici said:
not bad, but the left margin is def too big. It looks funny not having the gradient start at 0px on the left, instead its indented a bit.

I did the margin like that on purpose, gives the site a little "depth" if that makes any sense at all.

I still haven't gotten around to making sure my whole website validates. The trouble with mine is that a lot of HTML is generated dynamically by PHP on my site so I can't just type URLs into the validator and have it check everything for me.

well. freewebs.com does not support PHP so I am forced to do it the way I have. I dont use anything like dreamweaver either, everything is coded by hand into the freewebs webzedit

Congrats on the new site Tanya and best of luck to you in the future..

Thanks! Although the site is NOT new. I've had it for 2 years now :aigo:

I'd really like to .com it, but not sure on how to go about doing it. I tried once, but something fucked up somewhere, and I hadnt bothered since

You guys just dont ever see it, because I didnt figure linking to my mk2 site would make much sense here. It has undergone numerous changes in the past 2 years, and I think I am finally content with it

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Awesome. When I get money again I'll let you know. So tired of looking at the freewebs crap in front of my name >.<

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Tanya said:
I'd really like to .com it, but not sure on how to go about doing it. I tried once, but something fucked up somewhere, and I hadnt bothered since

It's not like I own a webhosting company or anything... :rolleyes:

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
omg you do????

:p

haha. I believe someone tried to host my site once, but I had no idea how to modify it after that, so I said screw it and stuck with freewebs. I can be a real dee dee dee sometimes >.<

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I use IX Webhosting for most my websites. They give me 400 GB of space and 2.5 TB of monthly bandwidth. All the usual features (PHP, MySQL, etc.), great customer support, and I can host up to 8 domains and have up to 300 subdomains. I'm not anywhere near my monthly bandwidth or disk space capacity.

Dunno if you think "supragoddess.swaqvalley.com" sounds better than "freewebs.com/supragoddess". :icon_razz

Last edited:

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
haha

I have been with freewebs for 2 years now. when I 1st started, I used their templates. In the past year Ive slowly learned HTML, but I am still a newb and really don't know much about how everything works beyond what I am coding into my site, which I try to keep as simple as possible.

Throwing words like PHP, MySQL, domains and all that just confuses me, heh. Like I said, someone tried to host me before and he tried walking me through how to update things, but I seriously had a mental blockage and couldn't grasp anything.

For now, I feel it is safer for me to stick with freewebs, as I already know what's going on there. In time I will learn about getting hosted elsewhere, but I also already prepaid freewebs for the year, and I dont feel like pissing money away

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
That's understandable. I stopped using freewebz (back when they still used a Z instead of an S in their name) not long after they stopped being free. I figured if I was going to pay for hosting it might as well be good hosting. I moved from them to Nexpoint, which was good at the time but never upgraded their hosting plans in the years I used them. So I did some research and found IX Webhosting with which I've had a great experience.

Do you know how to use FTP? FTP is the easiest way to manage/upload files to a website. IX Webhosting allows me to upload and edit files through a web interface too, but it's not as time efficient to do it that way.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
I know nothing about FTP, except it makes Tanyas small brain hurt, haha.

Give me a week of rest before bringing out the big guns. Every time I close my eyes, I am still seeing <br /> and alt=" codes

LOL

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Girl, if you can learn to code HTML & CSS like that, you can whip hosting problems with ease. They aren't even difficult in the same league!

Plus, you've got some decent help here you can fall back on. :D

The site looks awesome, blue and black rock. And your logo is better than awesome, whatever that would translate into - awesomer?

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
GrimJack said:
Girl, if you can learn to code HTML & CSS like that, you can whip hosting problems with ease. They aren't even difficult in the same league!

Plus, you've got some decent help here you can fall back on. :D

I agree. :)

GrimJack said:
The site looks awesome, blue and black rock. And your logo is better than awesome, whatever that would translate into - awesomer?

Just adding "er" would be the German way to make it more awesome. :icon_razz

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
right now my brain is kinda fried, I am always getting requests to do more things for my shop, I am ATTEMPTING to expand my store into Z cars, but I am getting overwhelemed with things right now. So me trying to figure out how to get a better host and transfer everything w/o screwing it up is the least of my worries, especially since I am paid up w/ freewebs for a year.

I appreciate all the good comments though, makes it worthwhile :)