want to get a 5.1 set-up, but quick question first

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
Jervis Mcstabby said:
:rofl: Oh yeah, real adjustable, the volume between 1 and 10 on yours is almost exactly the same!!! :rofl: The only time it does sound quiet is when a movie is in, and that's because movies are always mixed quieter than games and computer stuff (which still sound loud at 1 out of 60)! :naughty: You also failed to mention that you turned down the volume on your sound card on your computer to make it seem quieter.
The sound volume is only loud when it's on an rca hookup.
But since you don't pay attention to anything I wouldn't expect you to know that.

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
Jervis Mcstabby said:
My advice would be this: If you're planning on hooking up three game systems, a vcr, and multiple optical and RCA outputs (like my brother), go with a receiver, as they will always outclass a computer based system by sheer number of inputs, just know that a good receiver isn't worth the money you paid for it without good speakers (and Vice-Versa) . Now if you're looking for a good computer and 1-2 console setup (like), go with the Z-5500s, they will serve you well. I got mine 2yrs ago on an employee discount, and now that they're the same price new (255 on amazon) as my discount price, given the choice I'd buy them all over again.
Hope that helps:icon_bigg

How about 2 game systems (Wii and PS2) and a TV? Can you still get me an employee discount? Same question to you suprarx7nut. Any receivers you guys can recommend between $100-$300?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Go with a Yamaha. They're a bit more than the Insignias and rightfully so. ;)

You could use a computer speaker if u really wanted but it'd be a pain to keep switching the plugs for your systems.

Give me a sec and I'll find one.....

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Ok I would buy this....
7688638_sa.jpg

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...iever&lp=9&type=product&cp=1&id=1138083309444
Its normally 400, but its on clearance cuz its being discontinued.

If you just want a reciever...
7687229_ra.jpg

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...iever&lp=3&type=product&cp=1&id=1134703786117
$179 IIRC

and then put this on your Christmas list for Santa... :drool:

7366673_ra.jpg

$2000.00 and worth every penny if you've got the speakers that need it. ;)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...iever&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1151657261677

*Edited for spacing

Last edited:

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
JustAnotherVictim said:
The sound volume is only loud when it's on an rca hookup.

That's because the RCAs are at 100% volume and only go through one eq chain (on the receiver), whereas on your computer optical setup, not only do you have multiple eq chains (your "crystallizer", bass cut/boost and treble cut/boost on your x-fi card, as well as the receiver's eq), but you also have your x-fi's volume cut to 45% (I checked today). That's the only real reason why the optical's "quieter", no matter how you try to spin it! :slap:

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
Got Boost? said:
How about 2 game systems (Wii and PS2) and a TV? Can you still get me an employee discount? Same question to you suprarx7nut. Any receivers you guys can recommend between $100-$300?
I depends on how you're setting it up. If you're using the RCA cables I would have suggested using a multisystem video/audio cable, but I don't know of any that do last-gen and current-gen hookups on the same cable:icon_conf . If you're going with the Z-5500s get this for RCA
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=10036
Or if you're gonna go optical get this or equivalent
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optic...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1175853326&sr=8-16

I don't work for circuit city anymore, but the vendor affiliate deal went as being 50% off msrp (which now would be 200 after discount) if you're set on saving that extra $55, find someone working at CC that will hook you up, (that is, before CC's plan to lay off 60,000 employees goes into effect, so maybe you should use that as a bargaining chip:biglaugh: )

Those Yamahas suprarx7nut linked to don't look bad, but you shouldn't ever buy based on specs unless you can't help it. I'd suggest calling around to local best buys to see if they have any on demo, then if you find one that does bring a cd you are ridiculously familiar with (one where you could playback the songs in your head without actually needing the cd to be playing) and see if it sounds better or worse than you've known it to sound.
Also, if you only have an mp3 player to hookup make sure the files you're playing are 192kbs or higher

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
Jervis Mcstabby said:
That's because the RCAs are at 100% volume and only go through one eq chain (on the receiver), whereas on your computer optical setup, not only do you have multiple eq chains (your "crystallizer", bass cut/boost and treble cut/boost on your x-fi card, as well as the receiver's eq), but you also have your x-fi's volume cut to 45% (I checked today). That's the only real reason why the optical's "quieter", no matter how you try to spin it! :slap:
Jealous because I have more control?
He has an X-fi card so his setup will be similar.
Start paying attention.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Got Boost? said:
Hook me up with your employee price? :naughty: eh? eh? *wink wink nudge nudge*

Haha, I get that all the time.

My answer is consistently that I will do that but only if you make it worth my while. "worth my while" is where most people walk away. :biglaugh:

If I could stand to profit 100 bucks, I'd consider it. Now since my discount would be around 20% you'd be paying me around 240 bucks for your 180 dollar reciever.

In all seriousness I'd only save around 40 bucks and you'd pay close enough to that to have it shipped out to you that its not a decent savings. ;)

So simply put: Sorry, but no.

Now cables on the other hand...... ;)

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I could never go back to computer speakers. My PC is my media center and thus it is hooked up to an LCDTV and 5.1 surround. I've had my sound set up for almost 4 years now. Panasonic SA-HE70 receiver, all JBL speakers and sub.