w58 setup questions

torch'd

Sep 18, 2007
detroit, MI
okay so ive researched and searched a lot but want a direct answer from personal experiance and opinions.

okay so first the disclamer. this is not going in a supra i just dont knw where else o ask this and u all have never failed me as a knoledge base. the setup is a

1989 nissan 240sx
1991 eagle talon 4g63 (fully built)
1987 w58 transmission with custom bell housing

so from my research i have found that these transmissions live to around 250-350 rwtq (i dont beieve anything in a trans failing has to do with hp) . and that is on a 7mge which when looking it over , and remembering what mine drove like (87 mkII god i miss her), they have a nice big fat torque curve down low to shred gears.

with my setup:

4g63
9.5:1 je pistons
1g shot peened rods
knife edged crank
fully balanced bottom end
yada yada yada (idk how much yall know about dsms)

running a hx40 turbo. full boost comes up at about 3800 rpms (25 psi) and the engine makes almost no low end. but i run a tune and 272 cams and make power to 8700 rpms i usually shift about 9k when i used to drag the motor cause power didnt fall off drastically and made holding boost better.

so now for the trans.

im using this car as a replacement for my ca18det cause i needed more power to drift but wanted to prove a 4 cyl can still be competative that isnt an sr (personal gripe). my motor was making around 415-430 awhp in the dsm, and 320 tq but it wasn't until 4700 rpms. since the car is only 2200lbs and wont be used for drag racing what are your opinions on the w58 surviving. im not expecting it to last forever. nice part about having a local junkyard and that w58's seem to be easy to find

so what does everyone think? if i need to i will cut the tune back a little but would like to stay around the 350 rwhp range.

thanks a ton sorry for the long post.

johnny

oh ps, lightweight flywheel (11 lb moly) and it still has a sprung clutch in it and a 2 piece driveshaft

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
my friend in his sc300 is running a 1jzgte and he dyno it at a lil over 400 tq and somewhere in the range of like 480 or 500 hp he is using a w58 he is on his 2nd one the first one is cause he was launching it at like 4500 and it lasted like 6 or 7 mos know hes not doing that and the tranny is holding fine thats my experiance well his i should say

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
idk you can always reinforce the w58 i have heard about people doing this and its not to exspensive but i mean like u said w58 are everywhere and there cheap to pick up i would use it on my friends he has like 90,000 on that tranny when it was pulled out of a car and its still holding

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Considering the 240 is lighter the w58 should be fine for 500hp...even r154 isn't the bulletproof trans that people make it out to be! I'd think your fine considering there are plenty 400hp mkiii's that weight a ton running them.