Valves??

suprared89

Sep 8, 2005
atlanta, georgia
Guys,
I just bought a 1JZGTE powered mkiii. The car had a slight miss at idle. I pulled the plugs to replace them. Unfortunately, I found the problem... The ceramic on the nume 5 plug was cracked. A pretty big piece fell into the plug hole.... Problem is.... I didn't know until after I started the car. I took the head off, and am sending it out to be machined, and tested. I am thinking I may have a bent exhaust valve.

I can't seem to find any OE valves... It is also getting hard to find a factory gasket set too. My questions are: Where can I find an exhaust valve if I need one? And once the head is shaved, Should I be looking for a thicker head gasket? Or will a stock one be ok? Can I reuse the head bolts, and turbo/intake and exhaust gaskets?

I know this is long winded.... Sorry... This is my first JZ...:1zhelp:

suprared89

Sep 8, 2005
atlanta, georgia
Thanks Kelson. I looked at Drifmotion. I have tons of stuff in the cart..... I just don't know if I should look for a thicker gasket after the head is machined... I appreciate the offer on the valves. I will let you know as soon as I hear back from the machine shop.

Any thoughts on the other gaskets/head bolts? Can they be reused?

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
suprared89;1885448 said:
Thanks Kelson. I looked at Drifmotion. I have tons of stuff in the cart..... I just don't know if I should look for a thicker gasket after the head is machined... I appreciate the offer on the valves. I will let you know as soon as I hear back from the machine shop.

Any thoughts on the other gaskets/head bolts? Can they be reused?

Head bolts can definitely NOT be reused. They are Torque-to-yield bolts. I'm currently running a Cometic head gasket with ARP bolts and I had a lot machined off my head to get rid of a gouge, can't remember how much right now. I know there are threads on here about different size gaskets, I'm not an expert on that.

kanji1jz

kanji
Jan 16, 2008
tampa fl
I would grab a valve from someone on here and just run a stock headgasket. If you feel the need to run a thicker one I would contact Cometic as I know that they may be able to give you advice in regards to the thickness of the headgasket you need to run/ should run. Head studs are always the way to go when there is need of replacing head studs. If money is super tight, you can measure all of the head bolts and as long as there isn't one longer than the given specific length you can reuse them. If one is longer, that means that it is stretched to the point that it cannot be reused and you will need to purchase another set. I also have plenty of valves left over out of properly working heads... If you would like them they are here. I would have a machine shop give you an analysis before you commit to spending money without having an idea if the head is worth saving. If the professional tells you 'no' start looking for another good one to install. A good honest machine shop won't steer you in the wrong direction. A lot of them are good ol' boys that are just after working an honest living. If you don't have one already hit up some of your local mom and pop garages and ask them who they use. Most mom and pop shops give a crap about the quality of the work they attach their name to.