valve to piston clearance

turbotrev

Goin WEEEEE on my gsxr600
Aug 7, 2006
Clinton, MO
hey i am trying to check my valve to piston clearance and i was wandering which way it is done

1. put the playdoh were its needed put the head on tighten the bolts put on the timing belt and turn over by hand 2times then check to see if anything hits

2. the same as #1 except dont put the timing belt on and turn over to see the clearance

?????????:1zhelp: :aigo: :1zhelp: :aigo: :1zhelp:

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
Iv always done it the first way but I would use special weak valvesprings so I could get pushrod rod length at te same time. If you do it the second way you wont get an acurate reading as the intake valve follows the piston as it goes down not as its at the top. Besides arent these engenes non-interference?

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
the 7m is a non interference motor, you could break a timming belt and not bend a vavle.

why where you wanting to check valve to piston clearence?

i could only imagine playdo rubbing on the cylinder walls, and getting stuck in the ringlands.. hope you didn't get any in your rings, if i rmemeber right, playdo gets pretty hard and claylike when it gets hot.. or dried out.

turbotrev

Aug 7, 2006
Clinton, MO
because the head was planed and the block was planed and lapped

the head was planed to the minumin tolerance

and no the playdoh hasnt got in the rings

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Trev: I've done the playdoh thing in the past I put a blob over the valve reliefs in the pistons then wip a smear of crc 5-56 or wd40 over the Doh to stop it sticking to the valves and do a mockup using some very light springs.

I install the timing belt and slowly swing the crank through "feeling" for any interference then turn it over for a few full revolutions, then I pull the head and carefully slice through the Doh and measure!

An alternative to this is to turn the crank until the cam is at maximum lift put a dial indicator on the Spring retainer 0 is then push it down until it touches the piston and this is your clearence.

Having said all that what the guys said is correct our motors are non interference and it would take some HUGE surface cuts to cause an issue with stock cams!

turbotrev

Aug 7, 2006
Clinton, MO
i have the 2mm hks stopper and head was taken to its minimum and the block had very little taken off

thanks for all the info

trev

Superjustin13

Supra teacher 101
Apr 4, 2005
Idaho
turbotrev said:
i talked to a few guys at o'reillys and they said that they are interferance

Most people that work at part stores are fuckin idiots.

I had a guy tell me once, if my oil Filter comes off, my block will be completely drained in 3.45 seconds... yea i looked at him bought my oil filter went out the door and laughed, there all idiots that work at a parts store trying to be a mechanic because they dont have the knowlege to cope being a real mechanic. its pretty funny

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Now and again you'll find a parts guy that has a clue but it's happening less and less these days!

A lot of the younger generation can spec a 1000+hp build on paper but have little experience in the real world and lack the basics.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
If you really want to mess iwth the parts guys ask for sparkplugs for a 83 corvette:biglaugh: . Corvette skipped a year to make way for the c4.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I've found many people have the impression that If it's an Import motor it's automatically an interference engine. Go figure. I love the impression Hondas and Mitsubishis have left on the world. :3d_frown:

On a fun note, If I see a new face at the local auto parts stores I like to ask if they have piston return springs for an 87 Mazda RX7 and see how many bite. :D

turbotrev

Aug 7, 2006
Clinton, MO
ill try the 83 corvette one at oriellys and autozone and make asses of themselves

i might try the mazada one later

GOD I CANT WAIT UNTIL PEUGOT AND NISSAN TAKE OVER GM SO I CAN MAKE FUN OF ALL THE HICKS WITH THERE ALL AMERICAN TRUCKS AND CARS