Valve Removal Tool

Keith Poe

Sep 26, 2006
Trussville, Alabama
I made the mistake of paying $50 for one from Snap On and found that it was a very cheap tool made in Tiawan for a high price. You can buy one for less:
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis36200.html but it will only allow you to install the keepers. To remove the keepers, get a 3/4" piece of PVC pipe about a foot long and cut a U shape in the end. (I cut an X in a tennis ball and stuck it over the other end so it won't hurt your hand when you push down.) Put the PVC on the spring cover, push down on the tennis ball and stick a magnet in the U shaped hole and remove the keepers!

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
that last method sounds interesting. i ended up just doing the method IJ mentions in the beginning of this post(thanks!) i'm on the hunt for a spring compressor now

slowsupratt

Your Daddy
Feb 10, 2007
Oceanside, Ca
You should be able to remove them according to the text of that tool

"Push or tap tool with a hammer to remove valve keepers. A magnet in the tool body captures the keepers for quick removal and valve disassembly. "

Well i ordered the bluepoint one and we will see.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
For removal I used a spark plug socket with a super strong hard drive magnet stuck inside of it. Keepers came out fast and easy, and stuck right to the magnet with no issues whatsoever.

For installation I paid my machine shop $5 to use their pneumatic machine to put them in.

Keith Poe

Sep 26, 2006
Trussville, Alabama
Be warned, the tool I posted earlier is too large in diameter to remove the keepers. It is only good for installing them. There is a tool out there that will is the right diameter to remove the keepers, but I don't have the link. I think the guy was selling it for over $100. You can use a socket, but you can't see if the keepers have become dislodged when the spring is compressed. The PVC pipe with a slot in the bottom will allow you to see if they are out and capture them with a magnet.

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
I used a modified KD brand brake hold down spring removal tool. Mod takes about 5-10 minutes. I did four heads with this and never lost or shot off a keeper. Once you get the hang of it, you can install all 48 of the valve spring keepers in about a 1/2 hour. This is not ghetto but just a simple way to do what you need. Tool costs about 7 bucks, and can still be used for what it was intended for. Do not spend crazy money on a tool that you will never use again. For removal just use a socket and hammer. Use eye protection, it only takes once if you are unlucky!

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
lazarous said:
how did you mod it?

Just remove extra metal so you can get a finger in there easily. It works great. Hack saw. After you remove the unnessary metal, the tool is still way strong to do what you want.

Last edited: