Valve Removal Tool

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
To remove the valve locks?

I use a deep socket (plug socket) with a piece of rag loose over the valve cap then give the socket a hit with a hammer, the rag stops the collets/locks from going ballistic then you just repeat 23 more times and they're all out :)

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
right right, i also know another way of gettin it off, but putting it back together involves buying a valve remval tool, no?

so these "collets/locks"....i know them as keepers..thats the same thing right?

t4boost

I gotta have my boost!
Mar 23, 2007
Arizona
That looks like one you use when you have the head off, I am assuming you do. I have a bluepoint keepers tool works really good for heads on and off the car and I dont think that it was that expensive $60-$70. It has definatly paid for itself for the amout of times i used it though. being at the dealer.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
yeah it would be a good idea to get a good one, but frankly, i dont want to dish out a lot of money because i know the next time i use it after this is...i have no idea when..how does that one look on that site i posted up..would that make it happen?>

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I've made the claw style ones work, you gotta bend the arms so they grab ahold of the bucket guides on the outside...

Stu_22

Mar 27, 2006
England
Be careful when using the hammer and socket method. I did this when stripping down a head off of my euro hatchback and got a valve spring in my eye.

I had given it a big whack but one of the collets was still half in then it let go and the valve spring shot into my eye. My fault in a way as it should have been pointing away but just a reminder for all

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Stu_22 said:
Be careful when using the hammer and socket method. I did this when stripping down a head off of my euro hatchback and got a valve spring in my eye.

I had given it a big whack but one of the collets was still half in then it let go and the valve spring shot into my eye. My fault in a way as it should have been pointing away but just a reminder for all
Hence the piece of rag inside the socket.......

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I always give it a few whacks to makes sure the springs have let go before moving it away as well as wearing safety glasses whenever I'm in the shop.
(Had a 12mm Carbide cutter explode in the CNC today and I still can't account for 1/3 of it so I'm a bit paranoid about eye safety)

Dub:
smilie_animal_duck.gif

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
Darn Brian,
I can understand the cost for that unit; box tubing with welded gussets. I suppose it meant for "superlarge" & "superstiff" valve springs :biglaugh:

For a less expensive version, here is the one I have and have used several occasions -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VaLv...tegoryZ43996QQihZ002QQitemZ120108674665QQrdZ1

Slow66 said:
heres the one i use....
http://www.goodson.com/store/templa...IID=5591&SID=bb65c104edc557c80ee3e920370286a2
CF-14005813.jpg

Yeah its pricey, but it works really well, and makes my life a bunch easier. Not to mention, i can use it on pretty much any head i come across.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
BlackDevilSupra said:
Darn Brian,
I can understand the cost for that unit; box tubing with welded gussets. I suppose it meant for "superlarge" & "superstiff" valve springs :biglaugh:

It does work real well with stiff springs, and is smooth as silk too. I love the thing :)