vac leak somewhere?????

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
so i went to start my car yesterday, it cranked and i let off, it kinda backfired or poped. then i turned it over and it started but idled up to like 2500 rpm then came back down to like 1500. stayed there till it warmed up and then went down to like 1200. thats where it stays. i think i have a leak somewhere in the vac side of the intake. b/c you cant boost, it wont stall when you rev it up and let off either like it use to b/c of the overfuel on the AFM. it just gradually comes down slow. and you cant ajust idle down. i checked lines and cant see any of them off. but i guess that doesnt mean they dont have holes in them. and its too hard to try and find something while its running will all the noise up there plus the fan blowing crap everywhere. but i didnt knwo what was an easy way to find the leak. i changed the intake gasket on the upper plenum when i had to replace a coolant line. i dont think thats what it would be though. of course this has to happen like a month before i plan on doing all my work anyways lol... but if anyone has any ideas it would help alot. thanks-

87CandyBlueT

Banned
Feb 8, 2006
Kentucky (NKY)
I had the same problem with my mk3 when i bought it. It could be a number of things like a vac. leak is a major one. What fixed mine was. I removed the ISC valve and cleaned it and to help a bit more i took the throttle body off and cleaned it good with carb cleaner. Idles and starts like a Supra.

Silent Smith

Jerk.
Nov 30, 2005
Mississauga
Mine did a similar thing yesterday. I did a headgasket and the timing was way out and it backfired through the intake and now I have a huge vacuum leak on the manifold but I can't find it. Seems to be coming from near the frewall

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
no codes came up. i know for a fact its a vac leak. i wish this coulda waited lika month since i am putting a FFIM on. but of course with my luck that wouldnt happen. the lines on it are real bad. i just replaced 2 coolant lines last week b/c they fell part when i touched them. but i dont wanna go waste money taking everything apart and replace lines then switch intakes in a couple weeks and make new lines. i know its not good to drive it that way since it running lean right? but i have no other way to work. i drive about 30mph all the way to work in like 3-4 gear. is that gonna hurt anything? the biggest thing is i dont wanna over-spool my turbo. since it is running with no pressure on it, just free spinning. but yeah i have no idea what to do. should i just go head and change all the lines?

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
i tried to find the leak using the carb cleaner. and i went around pinching vacs lines too and still nothing. i have no idea what it is at all. this is driving me nuts. i hate driving it like this but i have no other way around. does anyone knwo if it is gonna hurt my car to drive it like this for a lil while until i pull my head and everything. b/c i am replacing all the then. any help be on this would be wonderful....

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
yeah i went and tried that and nothing changed. its has got to be a vac leak. cant boost, wont idle below 1100, and its driving me nuts. i guess i am just gonna start throwing stuff around!!!!:aigo:

Optim

Mar 9, 2006
Moscow, Russia
hm...
may be disconnect wire from idle injector? result?

or check exhaust emission. if you have lean mixture (vac leak) this test vindicate this.

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
ok, so i have been at it again today messing around with my car. i checked my codes and "24" comes up which has been like that for a long time. never hurt anythign before. "31" was on there from awhile back when i went to start it before i had the AFM plugged in. which i erased it and never came back. only "24" was there. then i went out for a drive and "51" popped up when i got back. which first time that has been on there. that is like the TPS or curcuit there. and now when i blip the throttle and let off. blue smoke comes out slowly after. and i honestly dont remembe rit doing that. but i still think it has to be a vac leak. b/c when i pull off a vac line thats already there. it doesnt change anything. still just at a high idle. i have tried pinching all the lines again to see if it would slow my idle, and nothing still. haha my car has no power at all, it wont even rev up quick hardly. help........

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
i talked to some ppl yesterday and said their car did the same thing when their O2 sensor was bad. so i had it running and unplugged teh sensor and nothing changed. still smoking and everything liek normal. now when you unplug it shoudl it change the idle or anything? b/c this didnt do a thing to mine and i wanted some input before i go and buy one.

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
so i finally figured out what it was. i thought it mighta been my wastegate so i started taking stuff off. and when i took off my accordian hose i found this thing wedged into my impellar. seems to be a piece of a shop rag.

2bf1re2.jpg

i have no damn clue how it got there. only thing i can think of was i got a new BOV awhile ago and it was set real tight so i was getting alota compressor surge. and the only thing i can think of was whoever had this car before me left it in my piping somewhere and it got loose and got sucked backwards into my turbo. it didnt do any damage thank goodness. i took it all apart and checked it out. it just had it wedged so it wouldnt spin, hence no power and lots of smoke. just thought i would show everyone. and all you guys were right. haha not a vac leak! just goes to show you it can be anything, even if its something off the wall like this.......