Using too much oil...

suprajonny

Mar 28, 2006
Wilmore, Kentucky
I checked the other topics in this forum for info, but if I missed one that explains my problem I don't mind being set straight.

My supra has lost almost 2 quarts of oil since I last changed it on 3-27. It doesn't burn any on cold start, but after the motor warms up I can smell oil burning in the exhaust fumes. When I take off from a stop a little puff of bluish smoke peeks out of the muffler. I recently had a 3" turboback exhaust put on the car (no cats) as well as a change to mobil one synthetic on last oil change and I shimmed my wastegate actuator in the last few months as well. The motor and turbo just has 50,XXX miles on it. I'm not leaking any oil except for a small amount which leaks on top of my exhaust manifold heat shield. Could my change to synthetic be the prob? Could it be my turbo? how could I check to see if it is burning oil on the exhaust side?

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Do a compression test.
Check the turbo for shaft play.
The oil that leaks onto your exhaust manifold, is coming from the CPS or the valve cover?

suprajonny

Mar 28, 2006
Wilmore, Kentucky
aye mate said:
Do a compression test.
Check the turbo for shaft play.
The oil that leaks onto your exhaust manifold, is coming from the CPS or the valve cover?

How do you know that the turbo has excessive shaft play when you check it? I haven't checked to see which place the oil is coming from yet. I thought it was the valve covers which were not tightened down quite well enough, but it may be the CPS. Would oil leaking from the CPS cause issues? (other than leaking my oil)

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
You try to wiggle the shaft that the impeller is on. It shouldn't move around at all, but some play is normal for these with higher mileage.
The CPS leaking oil shouldn't cause any other problems than the oil leak, or none that I have heard of. It will leak onto your heat shield and if thats hot it will smoke a little, but thats not too major.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
A turbo shaft should have no end to end movement. But it will move up and down. Not so much you can see it move, just feel the movement. If not, it wont rotate.

How do you know you added enough to start with? Top it off and see how low it is at the next oil change.