TV tuner card

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
can anyone recommend me a good one that'll run on XP pro? I miss having a TV in my room. My old Vaio desktop used to be my TV, but I gave that to my brother when I built this rig. :cry:

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
I use the ATI TV WONDER ELITE - REMOTE CONTROL EDITION. It works great! and if you dont have Windows Media Center Edition it comes with its own program that works just like a DVR . The remote is great too. Its all I use for a TV, I have 2 of them, 1 in my office and 1 in my livingroom attached to a projector.

I never miss any tv shows anymore, Here is a link. I got myne at compusa. I think they have a new version now.

http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Wonder-Remote-Control-100-703205/dp/B0007IG234

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
GrimJack said:
Haupauge (sp?) makes awesome cards, that's what I use in my PVR.

+1 for the hauppage. i have the 250 (i think) card and its great over all. can do just about any format you can think of, remote works great and ive heard it works with media center if you want. would recommend to anyone

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
I had an ATi All-In-Wonder 9200 back in the day, I think all of the "All-In-Wonder" brand cards act as tv tuner cards too...but I haven't really kept up with ATi as this was my first and only one from them :)

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
i totally forgot about those All-in-Wonders. may be a stupid question, but they wouldn't have a problem with my nVidia vid card as long as the tuner is a PCI slot, no?

also another thing i forgot to mention, it's gonna need some way of letting me plug my Wii in so that I can finish playing Zelda. So RCA inputs would be needed or something close that may require certain connectors to get it working.

thanks,
Alex

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
Got Boost? said:
i totally forgot about those All-in-Wonders. may be a stupid question, but they wouldn't have a problem with my nVidia vid card as long as the tuner is a PCI slot, no?

also another thing i forgot to mention, it's gonna need some way of letting me plug my Wii in so that I can finish playing Zelda. So RCA inputs would be needed or something close that may require certain connectors to get it working.

thanks,
Alex

The ATI I told you about does come with RCA and SVIDEO inputs. so your Wii Would plug right into it. :)

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
Got Boost? said:

thanks,
Alex

The all-in-wonder card I had had a little cable extension that plugged into the card that had RCA input and RCA output, S-video and something else.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I have also owned an ATi All-In-Wonder card. It was a 9600XT, I believe. The only complaint I had about that particular card was that the fan died, but you have to watch for that with almost any video card with a fan. Gave me an excuse to install a fanless cooler on it. :)

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
id watch out playing video games on the computer. theres a lag that doesnt let it work. the computer is about 1-2 seconds behind a regular tv ive noticed.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
MKIIINA said:
id watch out playing video games on the computer. theres a lag that doesnt let it work. the computer is about 1-2 seconds behind a regular tv ive noticed.

I have had this problem as well. I'm not sure if newer cards have fixed the problem, but it is definitely something to be aware of. This was one of the main reasons why I ended up getting a new video card and just buying an LCD TV that could also be used as a computer monitor.

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
MKIIINA said:

Seriously? I never noticed it before on the old Vaio when I had my PS2 hooked up to it. or that it's just the PS2 and not the Wii?