turbo leaking

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
Whats a way to check if the turbo oil seal has blown out? I heard you can take the lower ic pipe off and see if oil comes out. I did this and about a 1/4 quart of oil came out. Is this the turbo or a bad pcv system. It also has an exhaust leak by the turbo and it blows all the smoke inside the car through the fresh air vents. so I had to close them and its a lot better now but I need to figure out whats going on.any help is greatly appreciated.

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
you can also tell if your turbo seals are going if you are burning oil during boost/after boost. Also id find that exhaust leak

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
I was going to buy a ddp but I guess that will wait a while. I might as well buy an upgraded turbo while im at it.Yes, it only really smokes under boost so I stay out of boost now. The leak is at the elbow so I was getting the ddp to fix that and get some power.I will pull the hose and check the shaft play tomarrow.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Good luck 89turbo. Hope you get it fixed without it costing you an arm and a leg, but we both know that will never happen.............lol

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
I was looking around 935 and I saw there street ct26 upgrade. It has a smaller compressor wheel so it will boost faster. that seems to be the opposite way that everyone is going. would that be better for a 400whp ride then a 60-1. I will keep it at 10psi and run a dual stage bc to 17 when i get race fuel in it.what do you guys think.

snowball

Oct 22, 2005
MI
my turbo oil seals are bad... It smokes really really bad...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

"it still boost, IIRC**"

There is hardly any shaft play..

Would you think the E-Bay turbo kit would fix the prob.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I hope it's your turbo seals. I thought my wifes were bad, but IJ and a few others have since informed me that it's the rings. I've never caught IJ being wrong so I'm really not looking for her new turbo to fix the problem. She will have a new upgraded turbo though.................lol

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
I pulled the accordian hose and there was play in the turbo. I pulled the lower ic hose and no oil came out.Im confused now.I pulled the oil cap off and there was some smoke but it was a cold motor and didnt look like enough to worry about.I know i need to rebiuld my turbo because of the play but if the oil seel isnt busted I think it could wait.I dont think it is the seal anymore because it doesnt smoke like that picture of that guys.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I don't won't to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you may have bad rings as well. Let me try and find the thread and you can make up your own mind........

BOV spraying oil....................in the 7m turbo tech is where I started a thread and it has some good info in there............gl

snowball

Oct 22, 2005
MI
Well this is the story, I JUST got the car up and running after 8 months of working on it.... i finely get it up and running and i drove it around for a few days and all is good... but it slowly started to smoke. getting worse and worse.. and if you look down at the turbo there is oil coming out of the joints. but i took the exhaust manifold off and there was no oil coming out of the head..
p273665_1.jpg

and then the leaking turbo
p273665_2.jpg

^as you can see oil is just oozing from it.. adf

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Is that a catch can right beside the turbo housing? You may want to move that over to the otherside of the engine bay where it's cooler. Just my opinion.......lol and good luck.

You'll have to wait on someone else to answer about what's wrong with your car. I'm sure someone will answer it shortly..............lol

snowball

Oct 22, 2005
MI
i mean i am 99.99999999999999% sure it is my turbo..
Though i would like to try somones elses turbo. to get that other .0000000000000001%.. if you know what i mean.

What else could it be..