Turbo Gauge Not showing as much boost

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
It's on the drivers side fender well, behind the strut. It's a little black box that should have a metalic sticker on one side saying something like, "turbo pressure sensor". The vacume line is on the bottom of it, you can't see it, you must feel for it.

Studduck

Ride The Lightning
Jul 15, 2006
Beaverton, Oregon
So this is where I am at with the leak:

I have checked intake, BOV, ic pipes, and vaccum lines.

I can hear the turbo, and it sounds fine. The gauge doesnt show any boost until almost 5000 rmp in first gear. I can get it almost to full boost in 5th gear (at 60+ mph). I'm almost positive its not the gauge, because I don't feel the boost until it is shown on the gauge. (i can hear it though). Engine sounds and runs great. I'm having no other problems besides the boost. What should I check now?

Studduck

Ride The Lightning
Jul 15, 2006
Beaverton, Oregon
When I blow air into the IC pipes I can hear air leak from a certain area. It behind the alternator, near the oil cap. We plugged up all pipes going back into the accordian pipe. Where is this air leak comming from? Is this a leak or just normal air entering the engine?

Attachments

• Boost leaker.JPG
    Boost leaker.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 17

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Thats an oil line star.
Maybe you have an iac valve that leaks? I dont know if that is possible though. Maybe its a leak between the upper and lower manifolds? You need to do a little more investigation, I think.
Oh yeah, is it running rich?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Remove the ISC and pull out the check valve behind it. Make sure the valve is clean and not torn. You will want to have an ISC gasket on hand when you put it back together.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
3p141592654 said:
Remove the ISC and pull out the check valve behind it. Make sure the valve is clean and not torn. You will want to have an ISC gasket on hand when you put it back together.

lol Now why didnt I think of that...
Yes there is a diaphram in the check valve that only allows air flow one way, so that it doesnt leak under boost.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Studduck said:
where might I get an ISC gasket at? do I need a new one if Im just taking a look at the valve?
Yes. You could go to Toyota to get one, but you could just use a cut-your-own-gasket sheet.