Turbo Gauge Not showing as much boost

Studduck

Ride The Lightning
Jul 15, 2006
Beaverton, Oregon
I have a 1990 supra turbo with a 3 in. downpipe, and the turbo gauge normally reaches +8 psi, but now it wont go any higher than +5. It still feels like the same amount of power, but I'm not positive. Any advice on whether it is just the gauge or an actual problem with my turbo?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Check the line going from the nipple on back of the intake manifold to the boost sensor. It might be cracked.

89turbotoy

2 89 supras 2jzgte/single
Jul 30, 2006
cincinnati
i would suggest getting a good boost gauge and hooking it up b/c the stock ones are very inaccurate.and you should really check the vacuum line going to the boost sensor b/c this happened to me and at least 4 people i know. it just cracks from being old.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Studduck said:
I checked the intercooler pipes seemed to be fine when I checked them, how do I go about checking for problems with the BOV?

If its a stock bov (bpv) then just take it off, and try to blow through it. If you can, then most likely it's shot.

If its stuck open, it will leak boost back into your accordian pipe, causing major lag. Once if highway speeds it should spool up to max boost, but maybe not as quick. The reason being that the moving air creates a simulated ram air effect, along with increased load on the engine. If you suspect it's ur bov, try blowing through it, or see if you can hit full boost on the highway (5th gear).

Studduck

Ride The Lightning
Jul 15, 2006
Beaverton, Oregon
trydrew said:
If its a stock bov (bpv) then just take it off, and try to blow through it. If you can, then most likely it's shot.

If its stuck open, it will leak boost back into your accordian pipe, causing major lag. Once if highway speeds it should spool up to max boost, but maybe not as quick. The reason being that the moving air creates a simulated ram air effect, along with increased load on the engine. If you suspect it's ur bov, try blowing through it, or see if you can hit full boost on the highway (5th gear).

So I took my car on the freeway and got pretty dang close to full boost, so I'm gonna assume it is my BOV. Would this do the trick? http://www.suprastore.com/hksssqvbov.html

Studduck

Ride The Lightning
Jul 15, 2006
Beaverton, Oregon
I checked the BOV and it seemed to be fine. I have looked at a lot of the pipes and the air filter and they seem ok, what else do I need to check?

Studduck

Ride The Lightning
Jul 15, 2006
Beaverton, Oregon
It may be my turbo gauge, or the vaccum line. Where is the vaccum line for the turbo gauge? Is it on the accordian pipe or the turbo itself? Or somewhere else?