Turbo and bov question

megachao

Jul 22, 2007
Redlands, CA
Hi
I seem to have a problem with my turbo. also i dont know much about turbos.
when i look at the turbo guage it seem to like it never passes around 5psi.
and when i was driving on the freeway and steped on the gas i hear some sound like a sputtering sound (something is spinning really fast) coming from the enigne.
What could the problem be?

Im also thinking about geting a bov but i was wondering did i have to get a wastegate too or does the supra already have one stock.

was also wondering if there was a boost leak what do i need to do full repair like replacing gaskets and stuff, and what i need to install a bov and wastegate if i need one? But i might leave the bov and maybe the wastgate instaltion to a local shop to do.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Uhh, I'm not trying to sound mean at all. But, you own a turbo supra and don't know anything about turbos? I would really suggest that you do A LOT of researching on here? I would hate to see you ruin your car because a lack of knowledge.

Here's a start for you...How a turbocharger works

megachao

Jul 22, 2007
Redlands, CA
well of course im going to do alot about turbo before i start working on it and if i feel im not ready ill get the mechanic to do it. and i know what a turbo is and what it does just not familar with them yet cuz its the first turbo car i got

Also had another question if the turbo did leak would the car run rich?
cuz thats a problem i am having at the moment

megachao

Jul 22, 2007
Redlands, CA
either a exhaust or boost leak dont know how to look, but i can go over 5lb of preasure from my turbo. and when i look through forums to see if its normal they say the stock turbo can get up around 10lb+ so i was wondering if it was a boost or exhaust leak cuz i hear some sound coming for the engine bay
but what sound do i look for if its a exhaust leak or sounds from a boost leak?

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
Are you talking about a boost leak? I took this section from the DIY Boost Leak Thread. Here's a snippet of info from that thread: The air escaping through the leak was measured and considered in calculations when the ecu assigned the correct amount of fuel for the mixture, but the ecu does not know that some of the air is leaking out through the damaged gasket, and does not adjust for it. In this situation less air will actually be reaching the engine than was metered, and the fuel will remain unchanged, throwing off the tune and causing a rich condition.

Your stock turbo runs on a bypass valve, not a bov. Some terminology: Thread. edit: What I'm getting to is, throwing a bov into the car isn't going to solve anything.

Wastegate? Internal. Don't worry about that.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
If the car is stock 5 psi is pretty normal. If I remeber correct 5.5-7.5 psi if its a manual, 4.8-6 psi if its an auto is factory according to the tsrm. Even if its a manual, with milage+ restrictive stock exhaust+ stock gauge inaccuracy, 5 isnt bad. That sound like something is spinning really fast is probably your turbo spinning just as it should. So your car is probably perfectly fine. Oh and your car has a factory bypass valve and waist gate. The cheapest upgrade is to get a bosch bypass valve almost a direct replacement. hope this helps