Truth about Intakes

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
In car craft a couple months back They saw a 40+ rwhp gain on a procharged small block by going to a bigger filter alone.
I was talking to Jon at MDC about some head work once upon a time and he said that a slick finish (like polished) is worse at flowing air than a rougher surface... (this was talking about the intake runners and all of that jazz, but I would assume it would hold true for all pipes)

Something about the air sticking to it when its slick and doing the "driving fast on a washboard road" skimming accross the dips on the rougher surface.
The rougher finish helps keep the fuel from dropping out of the air and running down the ports. I dont know if its as important on these motors but when you run a carb it makes a huge difference.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Here is something to keep in mind. (And your UTI instructor should agree with this.)

All internal combustion engines are just air pumps that run on the heat produced by burning fuel.

If you can make the pump more effective, you can make more "power".

This is why headers and clean airfilters are important. They allow for the most air flow possible, so you get the most power possible.

Correct tune and timing is important too. (Plugs in good shape, etc.)

This is why larger motors make more power, and why turbo's and other forms of forced induction are so effective. They allow the engine to "pump" more air, burn more fuel, and as a result, make more power.

It's a pretty simplistic view, but it's important to start somewhere right?