Trash Can Dash Light, Weird Idle, and other issues

Jake_ak_cent

May 19, 2011
Utah
A. Jay;1717154 said:
Fucker is the word, people suck, but dude that's something you check for when you buy a car, turn the key to ON and make sure all the lights work. Next time.

Anyways replace the bulb, you heard. MA717MGTE, #74.

- from my Archos 5 IT

I know, I'm still kickin myself in the pants for not checking that. I was just so blinded by the Supra's awesomeness. Hahaha

You think autozone would have that bulb? I might run over there today see if I can't pick one up, along with a few other things.
And now I gotta figure out what I'm going to do about my phone. It was old and slow anyways, so it was due to be replaced. I'm thinking Samsung Infuse 4G, or iPhone 4. They're the same price, and I would choose the Samsung hands down except it only comes with 2G of memory, compared to the iPhones 16G. And I was already out of room on my 8G. Either way, I feel I'm rambling now, so I'll end this post. Haha

Jake_ak_cent

May 19, 2011
Utah
Ok so did the code test again. Only code was code 25 Air-Fuel Ratio Lean Malfunction. Which makes sense, because the smell would lead you to believe the car is running lean. Now, how do I start testing to figure out whats causing this?

Last edited:

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
If your AFM is dirty, it can cause that. So can an old oxygen sensor, a very bad spark misfire (bad plugs, wires, or coils), an intake air leak (anywhere between the AFM and the cylinder head... there's ALOT of places to check for air leaks. Google "site:supramania.com intake leaks" for more info about that).

Usually it's not an expensive problem... but figure out for sure exactly what's causing the problem before you buy parts or you'll just end up wasting money on stuff you don't need. If you don't have a multimeter, buy one. Also download or buy a copy of the factory service manual (aka, the TSRM). You'll need both of them eventually, so better off getting them now.

Jake_ak_cent

May 19, 2011
Utah
destrux;1717263 said:
If your AFM is dirty, it can cause that. So can an old oxygen sensor, a very bad spark misfire (bad plugs, wires, or coils), an intake air leak (anywhere between the AFM and the cylinder head... there's ALOT of places to check for air leaks. Google "site:supramania.com intake leaks" for more info about that).

Usually it's not an expensive problem... but figure out for sure exactly what's causing the problem before you buy parts or you'll just end up wasting money on stuff you don't need. If you don't have a multimeter, buy one. Also download or buy a copy of the factory service manual (aka, the TSRM). You'll need both of them eventually, so better off getting them now.

I was thinking AFM or O2 too. But like you said, I better find out for sure first. Dont want to just be throwin parts at it.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

SupraDreamPDR;1717265 said:
Not sure if anyone has shown the online TSRM (Toyota Service Repair Manual) yet? Here is a link.. lots of helpful information there. Also look for the online TEWD (Toyota Electrical Wiring Digrams), on the same site.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/default.aspx

Thanks for that link. I'll go pick up a multimeter tomorrow and get down to testing.

Jake_ak_cent

May 19, 2011
Utah
Well, just in case anyone was wondering, it turned out to be a bad knock sensor.
But thats not even the worst of it. No compression at all in cyl. #6, I've been told the piston is bad, to what extent is not clear yet as I'll have to tear down the engine just to find out just how bad it is. So basically the Supra is gettin parked for a while. :3d_frown: