Toyota replaced head gasket, should I be concerned?

TheAmazingDave

Formerly 86mister2
Feb 26, 2007
Cali South Bay
I purchased my first Supra last week, and she came with an interesting history. She has 60k miles on it, and the original headgasket blew at 35k. I have the receipts from Sunnyvale Toyota saying that they fixed the headgasket and replaced the shortblock.

I've been hearing and reading alot about factory head gasket failure. I've also read that Toyota released a revised head gasket and torque specs to the service department. Would it be safe to say that they used the updated stuff when they did the work?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The orgingal did not "blow" at 35k miles. Losing the headgasket is the symptom of another problem. And base on how quickly that person destroyed the engine, neglect is a serios problem for the owner.

New shortblocks are not installed for "rod knock" reasons. They are installed because of damage to the cylinder block. Toyota sells crankshafts seperately.

I can guess based on the information provided, that the engine was severly overheated, and warped the block. That lifted the head and gasket.

Unless this place service department is so bad that they replaced a shortblock just for a spun bearing.

TheAmazingDave

Formerly 86mister2
Feb 26, 2007
Cali South Bay
I was provided with a complete maintenance history. Here's the scans from the head gasket job.

03020701r.jpg

03020702r.jpg

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I believe you that they did the work. And old people in my proffessional experience are the most neglegent of all.

The kids are the first ones to come in because they think something is wrong.

I wish my car had 60K on it. I would buy it too.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
86mister2 said:
The original owner was an older lady, it went under her care. I don't think she was out hot rodding it. The car is insanely immaculate.

I'm guessing she ran it without coolant for too long, not even knowing. Since they replaced the shortblock you should be fine, and I can imagine the rest of the car would be in great shape. The first thing I would do is check what the head gasket is torqued to. I would assume there is a good chance they used the factory spec (I'm not sure when they switched over to the new gasket design), since it was done at the dealership.

Sounds like a nice car, good luck!

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
A 1990 with 60K :icon_eek:
Great find!

I would re-torque the head...I'll bet the dealer used 58 ft/lbs (stock torque). Take the torque up to 75 ft/lbs in 3-4 passes using the TRSM sequence...that should stop any HG problem, especially at stock boost.

Replace your valve cover gaskets while you're there and take a good look at the small 90 deg rubber hose at the rear of the head that leads to the block hard line. If that hose blows, you lose all your coolant in short order.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
jdub said:
A 1990 with 60K :icon_eek:
Great find!

I would re-torque the head...I'll bet the dealer used 58 ft/lbs (stock torque). Take the torque up to 75 ft/lbs in 3-4 passes using the TRSM sequence...that should stop any HG problem, especially at stock boost.

Replace your valve cover gaskets while you're there and take a good look at the small 90 deg rubber hose at the rear of the head that leads to the block hard line. If that hose blows, you lose all your coolant in short order.

If you do this and stay close to stock HP you should be in great shape... I envy you and your low mileage supra ;).

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
This car is immaculate. I did some checks on it when he swung by to show me. And it seems all in check. We are going to start throwing some mods on it, so 86mister2 is being prudent by checking the health before the modding.

This car is amazing

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
That's a damn shame, I would love to have bought my supra in that condition, I'm so envious of you and your beautiful car... Clean up that engine bay some and you'll be set! Torque the head down before you do some mods to it though. Let's see the interior!!!

TheAmazingDave

Formerly 86mister2
Feb 26, 2007
Cali South Bay
Thanks for the advice guys, and thanks Kyle for throwing up the pics. My sigpic is also a link to higher res pics. I keep saying I'll post up more, but she's filthy right now from the rain and weather. As soon as I can get out there and clean her up, I'll take more pics.

xanatos

Jan 18, 2007
Norcross, GA
Regardless of when the HG was replaced, I'd retorque the head anyway. In all likelihood, it could probably use it. It's a safe form of insurance as then at least you'll know that the bolts are torqued to a safe point and that the head is evenly torqued on all bolts.

Wish I knew this when I first got my Supra. :nono:

TheAmazingDave

Formerly 86mister2
Feb 26, 2007
Cali South Bay
The interior is a little dirty too, but the sun is out today so hopefully I can wash and detail it after work. But here's some interior shots in the meantime.

My baby's new garage. It's been in a garage all of its life so I felt guilty leaving it exposed in the driveway.
DSCF0818.JPG

peek-a-boo!
DSCF0819.JPG

61k now, I can't stop driving it!
DSCF0820.JPG

broad shot of interior.
DSCF0821.JPG

You may look at that and say "That car's not immaculate!" because of the current dashboard damage. It was broken in to about a month before I bought it, and the dashboard repair had already been scheduled. She's going to Milpitas this coming Monday for a dash replacement. I already purchased and installed an original trim piece from my dealer ($211) to replaced the damaged one. It's the piece around the heater controls and stereo. The blue dash and console are whats getting fixed next week.

Driver's seat, no signs of tears or ripped stitching.
DSCF0822.JPG

The rear seats look as if they've never been used.
DSCF0823.JPG

Likewise, the door leather and vinyl are in absolute top-notch condition, and still very soft and pliable. Hints that she's never spent a full day in the sun.
DSCF0824.JPG

And just a few of the original goodies that came with her. It also came with a new Toyota repair manual, and all factory tools are included that I know of.
DSCF0825.JPG

Once again, high-res available by clicking on my sig.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
jetjock said:
Interesting the dealer would replace everything on the first invoice for no charge in 1998, even if the mileage was only 35K.

I noticed that too JJ, but I wouldn't be bitchin one bit if I was that lil old lady ;).

I am absolutely in love with your car man :love: . A rare find indeed.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
/\ The same applied to my grandfather. His 2000 Cadillac DTS was getting a pretty bad piston slap on startup, and it got worse quick.
The car has 60k on it, and the dealer covered it under warrantee.
I was pretty surprised. New Northstar shortblocks ain't cheap!