Tow bar on mk3?

callme676

Banned
Jul 14, 2009
nc
HAS ANYONE EVER USED A TOW BAR ON THEIR SUPRA.i think its the way to go but i have to tow it from philly to nc. any advice?

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Talked to a rental guy and he said the the trailer needs a truck that can handle the load. You can't just hook it up the bumper hitch, it needs to be hooked up to a tow hitch, by that I mean the hitch needs to be attached to the frame not to a tow ball on a bumper. The trailer it self is 2000 lbs plus the Supra is a least 3500 lbs. He said a you'll rip that bumper hitch clean off, it needs a tow hitch. Is this true?

FernandoDLT

Apr 13, 2007
Texas
My dad pulls his MKIII behind the RV with a tow bar. He made some brackets to bolt onto the car and attach to the toll bar. Doesn't damage the lip and works fine. I'll try to post some pics tonight.

Fernando

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Had to go "rescue" a bud when his new 87t did the BHG thing, I hired a tandem trailer and used the Ute to tow it (about the same weight as a Supra)

No real drama's until I had to stop..... Supra+Trailer = a LOT of mass and even with functional trailer brakes it was a bit sketchy, not something I'd like to be doing at highway speeds (took surface roads the whole way back)

7EMPIRE

Feb 23, 2010
Raliegh
cool thats good to know,the only other question is can i use a jeep cherokee to pull the supra with a tow bar?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Poodles;1531668 said:
Does he disconnect the driveshaft?

Spanish Surprise;1531700 said:
Nope, he just puts it in neutral. He's already made 2 trips to Florida and maybe 4 or 5 trips to south Texas this way.

IJ.;1531720 said:
Seem to remember someone flat towing a Supra home long distance and the Trans exploding?
(would be worth a search)

That's why I asked what I did. It's not moving the lube around the way it should, not a good situation.

Athena

Rawr
Jun 22, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Lately I've been considering buying another one actually. Its a 83 with a blown head gasket. The point is, while trying to find something to tow it with, I found most places won't even rent you something unless you take off the driveshaft. unless you get a full trailer of course, which in cost wise, was not bad at all. I imagine stopping must be fun, my biggest worry is the fact that everyone around here drives like they think that you can still stop on a dime with all that weight.:nono:

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
as far as safety/security i towed mine over an hour like that, and it worked great! Just use good hardware, but i do have my engine/trans out..

FernandoDLT

Apr 13, 2007
Texas
Poodles;1531778 said:
That's why I asked what I did. It's not moving the lube around the way it should, not a good situation.

From what I remember reading, the R154 is lubricated with the splashing of the fluids whereas the auto is lubricated by a the pump moving fluids.

Pics coming soon!