SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
figgie said:
Invest??

lol

first you are using the WRONG word... Invest means that there is a possibilty of gaining money due to increase in yield.

Our cars are far from investments, as a matter of fact they are a blackhole for money and time to disappear on ;)
EXACTLY what I was thinking before I read anything.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I have been thinking about what it would take to get the Mk3 out of my drive way and its a pretty short list. Right at the top of that list is the C5 Corvette coupe. Its 350 hp stock, has a removeable roof, is very receptive of mods and it has come a long way down in price. You can pick one up in great shape with low miles for just over 20000 and they usually come with mods.

In your situation you can look at it many different ways. The car you have now is unique and probably very fast and there is a great community associated with it. Is a new car worht giving up all that for? Is the grass really greener on the other side? Who the hell knows. If your a true car guy you want to experience more than one sports car in your life...right?

Good luck.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Went through this very dilema a few years ago. (When the G35 Coupe came out, and I just about sold the Supra and bought one...)

Well, by the time I really sat down and looked at what I like, and did not like about the G35 v/s this old supra, I decided to keep it, and do some mods that I wanted to do.

The cold hard fact is that any "stock" car short of a 100,000+ sports car will need some mods, and even those cars get modded by the owners. (Look at all the shops who specialize in putting turbo's on exotics..)

Big brakes are expensive, so are turbo upgrades, fuel computers and all the other "mods" we do to our cars.

I really like what you have done with the alcantera on the trim panels. I've been wanting to do my entire dash and all the trim panels for years. (Perhaps leather on the dash, and alcantera pillar trim, headliner and other stuff to match and accent the leather seats I'm going to do one of these days.)

That is just it. "One of these days" adds up to many thousands of dollars spent and never recovered, but there is one benefit to starting out with a car you own... YOU don't have to pay for it up front, and then lose tons of money on the depreciation of the car on top of knowing your never going to get back what you spend on mods.

Example. 2006 G35 6MT with the wing is about 38k new. In a few years it will be worth 10k eventually, and when it's as old as my 88 Supra Turbo, it will be worth a similar value I'm sure. Let's just focus on the 28,000.00 in value it will lose in the first 10 years or so. (Perhaps sooner than 10 years.) That is some serious mod money! Just think of all the cool things you could do with that 28,000.00 and then keep your Supra.

Your choice of course, but a very nice GT coupe is a very nice GT coupe. (Be it the G35, or the MK3 Supra.)

One more thing. Your going to see nice G35's all over the place for the next few years, but how often do you see a really nice MK3? Not likely as most are ratted out, and look like crap. The nice ones are few and far between, so you are not going to see "yourself" at the stop light anytime soon.

Just my opinion, but I've been where your at. :)

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
A nice Mk3 Supra by far has more rareness and coolness to it than most new cars. The 350z is a very nice looking car though. You should test drive one to see if it's worth considering or not. If you get one, get a used one to save on depreciation. I like to change cars every 5-8 years. I've had a nice Mk2 for the last 10, and now I'm going ballistic with "investing" into my recently purchased '87, planning to make it the way I want (widebody, etc) and keep it for at least 5 years.

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
thanks for the comments guys. I've never actually had anyone really comment on the car as much as you guys have. I did all that work over last winter in myself when I had my tools and facilities to do it.

The analogy about "the car is like a girl" may have been a bad one but JMDigital summed it up quite well. Just over half a year ago I ended a 3 year relationship due to her seeing another guy. I wined her and dined her, bought a trip to Punta Cana (which was supposed to be for 2 months before we ended it) but it was a surprise so i didnt tell her. Anyways ever since then I've just wined and dined girls but never committed. Then met someone else and did the same thing. I will settle down when I want, but I enjoy the bachelor life and I'm only 22 and still young.

Every time I go through these thoughts of buying a different car, I think I will just buy a new part for the supra instead.

Once again thanks for the input. BTW keep commenting, it motivational. LOL

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
tekdeus said:
A nice Mk3 Supra by far has more rareness and coolness to it than most new cars. The 350z is a very nice looking car though. You should test drive one to see if it's worth considering or not. QUOTE]

I used to sell them before i became business partners with my dad. I had a 350z and a g35 for about 2 months at time as a demo car. Thats what got me hooked, and that was over 2 years ago.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
350z is FTL. I just dont like them at all. Same with the RX8.
Why not pick up a 93+ RX7?
Or hell an MKIV Supra.
Seems like you got the money pick up a 911 T
:)

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
Suprastic said:
thanks for the comments guys. I've never actually had anyone really comment on the car as much as you guys have. I did all that work over last winter in myself when I had my tools and facilities to do it.

The analogy about "the car is like a girl" may have been a bad one but JMDigital summed it up quite well. Just over half a year ago I ended a 3 year relationship due to her seeing another guy. I wined her and dined her, bought a trip to Punta Cana (which was supposed to be for 2 months before we ended it) but it was a surprise so i didnt tell her. Anyways ever since then I've just wined and dined girls but never committed. Then met someone else and did the same thing. I will settle down when I want, but I enjoy the bachelor life and I'm only 22 and still young.

Every time I go through these thoughts of buying a different car, I think I will just buy a new part for the supra instead.

Once again thanks for the input. BTW keep commenting, it motivational. LOL

Thank you for the compliment! - You are only 22! Just a kid.. I am 35 Married and I can say that my wife and I get into our fights over the Supra, She does not understand why I am about to drop 6k on a engine rebuild and about another 2-3k for paint and to recover all the seats!

Get a new part for that supra and find a women that likes the car at least 1/2 as much as you do. I know its hard to find but keep looking she is out there. :)

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I have to admit I've been tempted to replace the Supra with a C6 Z06, but for the 70K or so that I'd need to do it... LOL

The reality is my 88T is highly modified, and it would take about 25k or more to get any car up to the same level of mods. (Brakes, engine, turbo and suspension mods are all done, and would need to be done on any car that replaced it short of the Z06's as they are pretty much a race car for the street out of the box. (Add a supercharger, headers/exhaust and hold on tight!)
Another reality is I'm not getting any younger. (Just turned 40.) And I have a great time driving sedans... LOL Of course I'm talking V8 powered sedans with 300hp or better. (That new S8 with the Lambo sourced V10 FSI engine is very tempting, but dang it's expensive too.)
I've also discovered how much I like AWD platforms like the Audi A8 I DD. I've been keeping my eyes open for a good used RS6, and when the price is right, one will be in my garage, and one of these days so will the V10 S8, or I might replace my A8 with a good S8 of the same body style. (Mine is a 98 short wheelbase, and I really like the solar sunroof option which is pretty rare.)
I've looked at the EVO8, and the STI, but really like the power and style of the Audi's. (The STI is a very cool car, and I think I lean that way more as you can get cruise control in the Subaru, and can not get that with the EVO..? What was Mitsu thinking? The EVO drives more like a go-cart, and clearly handles better at the limit, and you could tell that in just a short test drive... sorry mr. salesman.. LOL I warned you! My brother and I test drove the EVO and STI back to back, and both agreed the STI wins as a DD, but the EVO rocks as the ultimate traffic/street fighter with 4 doors...)

Ok, back on topic. It's your choice, but think about what you have, a very clean, and getting more rare everyday car.
You really want to replace it with a ordinary G35 or 350Z? (Or if you spend another 25k on them not so ordinary, but not worth anything more than what you have now?) Try putting turbo's on those cars... your pretty much limited to 400hp without a full engine re-build, but I'd have to say stroked out to over 4L the VQ engine turbocharged and built right would be a very powerfull setup indeed! (You would need AWD to get the most out of it...)

BTW, my A8 has the alcantera interior option :) Love it!

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Hmmm, I can't say I have anything new to add to the discussion, but I do think that they're right about the rarity of them. Of course, I'm also in love w/ the G35, but hey. If you enjoy working on it and fixing it up and its fun for you to drive and all that, then go for it. When you think about it, if you buy a new G, you'll spend as much money just paying for the depreciation and not getting anything out of it as you could drop on a whole slew of upgrades on the Supie. Of course, you don't get the thrill of something different, but its a tradeoff.
Just do what makes you happy ;-) And don't hurt me for saying that. :biglaugh:

JMDigital said:
Get a new part for that supra and find a women that likes the car at least 1/2 as much as you do. I know its hard to find but keep looking she is out there. :)
LOL. I can see how having a wife/gf who thinks the car is ridiculous and that its silly to keep spending money on it could be a problem.
Hehehe, I love that my girl loves the car, hell she even spent like 2 weeks trying to decide on a name for it. (See sig lol) Plus, you can't go wrong with turbo's, targa's, and pop-up headlights :p

Adjuster said:
BTW, my A8 has the alcantera interior option Love it!
A8??? Plus Alcantara too? I HATE YOU! Wanna share? :naughty:
Sigh, I love those cars.

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
Adjuster: Do you have any pics of your A8. Man i love those cars, seems like you have a very rare sedan there.

Since I've moved to Calgary I found out how difficult it is to get my car registered and insured here since I need an out of province inspection, in which they want to make sure everything is within OEM spec. Well, good luck on that with my Supra. A few people I met out here might be able to hook me up, or maybe even Jeff Lange can chime in and help a brother out. LOL. Lately I've been tired of taking public transit around so Ive considered buying a nice used sedan. Noting new so I can avoid most of the depreciation, and also so i can still put money into the Supra.
One of the members on here got ack to me about my request for his 88 rebuilt turbo engine and 5 spd trans. Everything to convert my NA auto to a 5spd Turbo less a few odds and ends like IC/Piping/exhaust, all for $1500usd. And he is only 9 hours from me, which isnt all that bad. Im goin to buy it from him, as long as he is willing to seal the deal after new years, and by then hopefully i'll find a place to store the two pallets of parts.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
lol lol

all this discussion and we thought you were turbo!!!

Get her a turbo, like refreshing a woman with implants ;)

btw I know the investment post I made is true but don't listen to me on it as I have 10K in standalone equipment alone...lol!