To Drift or not to Drift...

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
Moy;1455910 said:
I recommend trying it in an EMPTY parking lot on a rainy day. The ground is slick, so it's easier to get sideways. Once you can get sideways, then you start practicing the control part (counter-steer, throttle control, etc)

Doing it on slick pavement (or snow) will give you some of the practice you need without burning through your tires.

Just be aware that it's a tad different on the dry pavement. A little more difficult to break loose when it's dry.

My underpowered, 238K (at the time) n/a was able to get loose. But I tossed it between 60-70 mph, and maintained the slant-ways around 40-45 mph.

Call bs on the speeds if you like, but if you want verification, na-tsupraking was riding shotty

An automatic on top of that!

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
im pretty sure the weight diff is about 150-200 lbs between the targa and hard top. get rid of the seats and start deleting as much stuff as you can and it might get a little more reasonable...gutted and chopped, but should be a lot more nimble.

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
well damn i just came across a sr20 1989 240xs for 2800 you think its a good buy? its all stock... so i can save my supra from drifting disaster... lol

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
emiliorescigno;1457387 said:
It's the wrong kind of car.

Why is that because it is heavy ? It might not be the best car for drifting but if you can drive its a fun car that will drift and is very cable of doing so.

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
heavy cars are not nessicarily a handicap when it comes to drifting.. you have vipers and mustangs out there drifting pro. you just need more power and have to slow down more comming into turns. Supra's can make the power... just need a good driver and a good suspension setup/tires.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Keep in mind a properly tuned drift suspension is NOT the same as a grip setup. The main reason supra don't make good drift cars IMHO is the slowish steering ratio and the limited steering angle.

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
true on the steering... its not as much as a 240sx. i used my friends 240sx today and it was easier to drift with it but im destined to drift with my supra... im not giving up on it, i didnt do a 1jz swap for nothing lol