To Drift or not to Drift...

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
ok guys ive been thinking of drifting for the pass few days with my supra... i have a 1jz single turbo r154 set up and upgrade intercooler and pipes and exhaust all down... i havent done anything to the suspension. my supra is 87 t top turbo shell. and well the feeling of going side ways is something else and i would like to go into it but i dunno... not sure of it yet.

IndyMK3

I Hate Godzilla Too!!!!
May 15, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana
well its very costly.... a good set of coilovers... a good clutch... a good lsd... and tires... lots of tires.... plus our cars are HEAVY... and you have a targa so thats more weight over the hardtop... im not saying it cant be done and when it is done it is bad ass... but its all up to you in the end =)

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
buy a 240sx to learn, they are very nimble and easy to handle.

Once you MASTER drifting in the 240, then step up to the supra.

Our cars are very heavy, and definitely aren't nimble.

They have lots of torque, but handling is not so great.

plus 240s are cheap, and parts are everywhere. you can start with a 1000 dollar 240 and practice on it until you get good at it.

That my advice.

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
kabanimk3supra;1454258 said:
buy a 240sx to learn, they are very nimble and easy to handle.

Once you MASTER drifting in the 240, then step up to the supra.

Our cars are very heavy, and definitely aren't nimble.

They have lots of torque, but handling is not so great.

plus 240s are cheap, and parts are everywhere. you can start with a 1000 dollar 240 and practice on it until you get good at it.

That my advice.

+1 Did this. had 3 240sx's. wrecked one, blew two. Learn in something that isn't your supra. The weight will really throw you off. 240's handle better due to the reduced weight and the near 50/50 weight balancing. You can learn in the supra but i recommend a really open and empty lot. Just realize that as you keep increasing the speed and trying to improve your skill level, you will hit stuff. Also, steelies are wonderful compared to the aluminum sawblades. hit something with aluminum wheels you'll more than likely be staying there due to the broken rim (see attachment). Steel wheels bend. They'll cause a vibration after being bent but atleast you'll make it home.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 157

disturbed1

Jan 10, 2006
perth
see my build thread

if your talkign about drifting a street regos supra then i wouldnt bother... but it u happy to go to town lightening it up - then go for it

i personally thing they handle great, esp on nice big tracks where the turns arnt quiet as tight as steering lock seems to limit the slower speed drifting

eitherway - u will have a blast!

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
well damn... thanx for all the options guys. ya its pretty tough in my supra to drift, but i think i can do it. but yet just spending 1000 on a 240sx would be a better idea and mess around with that dan my supra :)

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
johnsf32;1454521 said:
Just do it at a big parking lot so u don't hit noting .wish u luck

ya thats wat i was doing last night and it was fun doing so lol... i have enough power to get my supra side wayz

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
Falken;1454524 said:
ya thats wat i was doing last night and it was fun doing so lol... i have enough power to get my supra side wayz

what im planning to do in the future is getting a 240 and swapping a 1jz in it now that would be a good drift machine....just a thought.. :naughty:

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
dubsupra209;1454785 said:
what im planning to do in the future is getting a 240 and swapping a 1jz in it now that would be a good drift machine....just a thought.. :naughty:

you don't need that much power in a 240 if you get a DOHC one.

The Ka has plenty of torque for that car. the 1JZ will throw off the weight ratio and it will not handle as well.

My brother put an rb25 in his, and it's much harder to control it now, the front end is heavier than before.

If you want more power w/o messing up the balance, ka-t it and put battery in trunk.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Everyone should learn to drift in what ever car they own.
It helps teach car control, that may someday save your life.
In the old days it was called a controlled power slide,
and should be tought in high school driving classes.............

Just my 3 cents.
(inflation, since washington decided to print money they don't have, to help pay for schools that don't teach anything)

gofastgeorge;1454816 said:
Everyone should learn to drift in what ever car they own.
It helps teach car control, that may someday save your life.
In the old days it was called a controlled power slide,
and should be tought in high school driving classes.............

Just my 3 cents.
(inflation, since washington decided to print money they don't have, to help pay for schools that don't teach anything)

Lmao @ last section but main post is legit.

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
today it was my day off so i was just cruising all day in my supra i found some nice parking lots and some curves that look good enough to practice... but if i do go more into it ima need new suspension... what will be a decent one to get if i wanted to keep my supra side wayz

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
these cars are not bad to learn in, definitely practice in very open parking lots and spend as much time as you can learning your car