Timing

BiGGinZ

May 3, 2007
SoCal
I am changing the timing belt on my car. I think the timing is already off so I am replacing the belt because it looks bad along with the idler pulley. Now I know I need to set the car at 0*TDC and then change the timing to 10*TDC, I just don't understand on how to set the timing to 10*TDC. This is the first time I have done timing on a car so sorry if it sounds stupid I just really don't want to mess this up. I did a search and read what I could find on timing but didn't see anything on how to set your timing to 10*tdc. Maybe I missed a thread or link, if so post that link and I am sorry for wasting everyones time. Thanks for your help.

BiGGinZ

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
(after everything is reassembled, with CPS bolt loose)

-Jump Te1 and E1 in the diagnostic block (locks in timing, no ECU input)
-Clamp timing light pickup to #1 plug wire.
-start engine
-point timing light at the scale on the lower timing cover
-find where the notch in the crank pulley is "flashing" on the scale
-turn the CPS (slowly), while you watch where the notch in the pulley is, in whichever it needs to go until the pulley notch is flashing on the 10.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=IG&P=20

Oh, and don't forget to take the jumper back out when your done!

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I think you should just have it at 0* TDC and call it cool. oh yeah make sure you have your cams zeroed out as well.

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
What's goin on. You're right on getting the timing belt, just make sure you aren't off even a tooth otherwise it won't work right. After getting the timing belt on jumper the diag. box and get your timing light on. Clamp the spark plug clamp over either #1 or #6, same spark, positive wire to battery, negative wire to battery, start the motor and see where your timing is, should be at 0* BTDC. Now, loosen the CPS bolt and turn it until you reach 10-12* BTDC. Tighten it down and recheck the timing. You're good to go!

More detailed link: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTips/setting_timing.aspx

-Chris

edit: you guys beat me to the punch...

BiGGinZ

May 3, 2007
SoCal
Thanks for the quick responses everyone. Another dumb question will the cam sensor only move one way? When you guys say turn it until it hits 10*BTDC I want to make sure I dont mess this up.

BiGGinZ

May 3, 2007
SoCal
Mk3runner said:
well the cps has a notch where you can move it either way. well if installed right.

I haven't touched the cps, still waiting on my timing belt, light, and idler pulley. So which way do I turn the cps I guess is what I should have asked.

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
It depends on how accurate it was put on. When I installed mine I made sure it was as close to dead in the middle as I could get it so I could allow myself enough room to adjust it. While timing it, I turned mine about 1cm clockwise to reach about 10-11* BTDC. Everyone's motor is different though. Just when the timing light is blinking, move it a little one way, if its going the wrong way turn it the other way.

-Chris

BiGGinZ

May 3, 2007
SoCal
SevenMKIII said:
It depends on how accurate it was put on. When I installed mine I made sure it was as close to dead in the middle as I could get it so I could allow myself enough room to adjust it. While timing it, I turned mine about 1cm clockwise to reach about 10-11* BTDC. Everyone's motor is different though. Just when the timing light is blinking, move it a little one way, if its going the wrong way turn it the other way.

-Chris

Okay will do, thanks for your help.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Mk3runner said:
I think you should just have it at 0* TDC and call it cool. oh yeah make sure you have your cams zeroed out as well.

no. having it at 0* is going to make the car run like a bag of crap. that's only the base timing you're talking about. (cams and crank).

we're talking about ignition timing. just listen to mkiiiman089. he's spot on.

-shaeff