timing problem need help

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I tried to set my timing today and found that I could only get 5 degrees at idle when I turned my CPS all the way? No Idea what could be causing this can you help me out guys

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Ya I just thought of that. Iv only had the car about 3 weeks and have been going through everything on it. The previous owner probably just set it off a tooth. Ill give that a shot tomarow

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I tried moving my cps over one tooth today and my timing jumped way up. The lowest I could get was around 20-25 degrees of advance. I figured maybe I accidently moved it and extra tooth in the process, so I tried going back one tooth. Now its maxes out at 5 degrees as before. I cant figure out why the proper setting would be in between splines? What could be outa wack?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
kawkoretsx said:
Could not having the jumper wire connected cause this? Dunno just thought I'd bring it up. I think its like E1 to TE1.

Just to reiterate, are you using the diagnostic jumper when you try to set the timing?

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
ya Iv jumped it every time from the get go. Checked my codes and had a 24 but I think it was due to the fact that I started the car one time and forgot to reconect the AFM plug. I reset it and took it for a drive and as of now I have no codes and my timing is still off. Any ideas guys? bad cps? today I was looking at it and wondered if maybe the cam that rotates in the sensor actually got rotated on the shaft? It apears to just be pressed on is this a possibility?

sao1

Feb 15, 2006
Santa Rosa, CA
Please keep us updated. I have been trying to figure out some stuff on my car, and i checked my timing yesterday, and it was at 25*. So today, i will be checking my timing per TSRM.

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
GC89 said:
I tried to set my timing today and found that I could only get 5 degrees at idle when I turned my CPS all the way? No Idea what could be causing this can you help me out guys

If there is not enough adjustment to get to 10 deg, then you will need to pull it out and install it again.

Mine was the same. I just played with different positions and put it back it.

Dead on 10 deg now.

Cheers,
Roy

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Iv also been wondering why did they have to go with the #6 plug to check timeing? Relation of the dual overhead cams???

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
GC89 said:
Iv also been wondering why did they have to go with the #6 plug to check timeing? Relation of the dual overhead cams???

It's easier to reach than #1 and fires at the same time?

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
simple enough! my timing light clips around the wire so it really made no difference so that never occured to me. Well still stuck at 5 degrees! :icon_mad: I will more than likely take the cps out and fully reset it. However I still see no indication that this is going to do anything. So has anyone everheard of anything that could cause your timing to be off like this other than incorrect cps placement? I want to believe my cps has something wrong with it but it is a pretty simple unit, so I dont see much that could go wrong

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
GC89 said:
simple enough! my timing light clips around the wire so it really made no difference so that never occured to me. Well still stuck at 5 degrees! :icon_mad: I will more than likely take the cps out and fully reset it. However I still see no indication that this is going to do anything. So has anyone everheard of anything that could cause your timing to be off like this other than incorrect cps placement? I want to believe my cps has something wrong with it but it is a pretty simple unit, so I dont see much that could go wrong

crank 0* check that the cams are aT 12 o"clock, pull out cps, align drilled holw with notch, insert cps so the hold down bolt hole is in the center of the arch,

check timming, if off, repeat untill you can turn it and get it , i usualy get it one tooth off and i can adjust it but not pull it in enough,