Timing marks good, but wrong stroke?

reincaster

Dec 25, 2009
Guam
So I finally have some time to work on my 87 turbo, and I have some questions.

From what I know, the PO blew the head gasket and he pulled the head off, did a port and polish at a local machine shop that does good work, receipts included. He put the head back on, new toyota headgasket, coolant, timing belt among other things. The car just cranks, sometimes misfires, never starts.

I'm fairly new to engines with cps ignition, but I assume it's just like the NA's distibutors, but they rely on the cam position.

I've checked for spark, and spark is good, fuel pump is operational. i'll be checking compression in the morning.

Now, I checked timing, and the cam gears and crank were lined up correctly, but I had a thought today. Being a 4 stroke engine, could the cams be on the wrong stroke when the PO put the belt and head back on? Is the stock cam setup non interference? Is there a good chance he bent a ton of valves? I have two spare heads if need be.

thanks so much in advance!

reincaster

Dec 25, 2009
Guam
What should the cams look like then? IIRC, the TSRM states that the turbo models are set at 10 degrees BTDC. If so, then cylinder #1 (towards the front) should have both intake and exhaust valves closed, correct? Is there a picture of how they should look?

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
shaeff;1489469 said:
The 7M is a non-interference motor, so bent valves are out of the picture unless too much material was removed from the head/block during the machining process.

All that needs to be done is this:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38775

Verify your cam/crank and CPS timing and we'll go from there.
I forget the post but a guy on here bent valves on his because he had larger cams in it.
-AM3

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Setting a head down flat on a hard surface with the cams installed will do it too. Bigger cams will have to have quite a bit of extra lift to cause interference problems with the pistons.

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
If your mechanical timing is right when all the timing marks line up the #1 cylinder's valves will be closed which means it is on the power stroke I believe. Its how I do all my engines and never had a problem yet. If that's good then your CPS is off. If I remember right when the #1 Cylinder is at top dead center and all the valves are closed you put the CPS in will the drilled in dot on the shaft/gear at 12 o'clock position.

Last edited:

reincaster

Dec 25, 2009
Guam
Took apart all the hoses and pipes, got to the valve covers to check cps and cam timing. CPS was off, and went to check the cams and have a question. What position should the cams be in? Iirc, crank at tdc should be the power stroke? I followed the tsrm where it says to turn crank and watch for the nose of the intake cam on #1 through the filler hole, and turn the crank back to 0 on the timing mark. Intake cam looks correct.

Where should the exhaust cam #1 be? I'm assuming right before it opens the exhaust valves? Or one turn prior to that?