Ticking sound

RaiderRC

Dec 11, 2005
Beaverton
I am getting what sounds like an electrical ticking sound on my 7M-GE. the sound is comming from around the fuel rail area. I can't quite pinpoint the location. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Cut off the end of a wooden broom stick and touch it to the car...., like the alternartor and touch the broom handle to your temple. Be carefull I'm sure there is a reason it isn't practiced anymore but that's some old sckool shite.

Neil

Poker of the Smot
Apr 29, 2006
In the Supe
Sounds stupid, but ur spark plugs all in all the way? :p Causes ticking when the seals aren't all in..

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
baaad idea with the stick. good principal and will work but if you miss or slip while its by your temple and something smacks it up toward your head...you could end up dead. (no rhyme intended) if anything use some tubing or a stethiscope. if your engine backfires or lurches you could get hurt as well. anything but a solid object connecting your head to your engine sounds safe.

good luck.

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
sorry to hijack but I have a question on the same topic.

How loud is it when the fuel injectors tick? I changed my oil today and it sounds louder for some reason. It may just be in my head. But the tick is constant, and I can't tell if it's RPM dependant.
How can I tell if it's the valves ticking? Is this bad?

Thanks

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
canadian - did you change oils? i've heard a different oil can make the valve-tick noise appear and in other cases go away, generally with thicker oils the noise is muffled/eliminated.

jazz- were talking to me? i never actually did that...lol. but i can just imagine the engine jerking and giving the listener a nice bruise on their temple. and being a sensitive spot...it can be eaiser to knock someone out/kill them there... and if you fall into a running engine that would hurt too. but w/e.

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
Figit090 said:
canadian - did you change oils? i've heard a different oil can make the valve-tick noise appear and in other cases go away, generally with thicker oils the noise is muffled/eliminated.

I just changed the oil. I'm not sure what the previous owner used, probably 10w 30 I think. I switched to 5w 30 so its easier on start up.
What would the tick be coming from?

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
well i believe lighter oil will make them louder... since you are using 5x instead of 10w... you might hear more noise. my guess is the thinner oil will make it eaiser for the parts to slap together or make the process louder...

if you can, try and listen for where its coming from. there are many things that can tick under a car's hood. but thats my guess based on what i've read...and it makes sence. i havent listened to enough engines or been around them enough to hear those changes yet so i cant say from experiance... you can search though. if you are wondering specifically in the valvetrain what is doing it... i could guess what parts are making the noise but i have no idea... maybe the lifters against the cam lobes? i dont remember if they are constantly touching or not. check you are using the right oil. (i havent changed mine since i got it so i dont know that one.)

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Cams are not constantly touching. When the valves are closed, there's a very thin space between the back of the lobe and the shim. This is what you're trying to achieve when/if selecting replacement shims.

Canadian - You sure it's not fuel injector noise? If you want to try a variant on the "stick test" you can achieve similar results with a piece of vacuum hose and a suitably sized bolt stuffed into the end of it. Touch the bolt to the solid object you're listening to (fuel rail or injector, for instance) and stick the other end of the hose in your ear.

Just the hose without the bolt makes for a great vacuum leak tester, as it picks up hissing air very easily.

jazzsaxman1988

smells like burnt waffles
May 6, 2006
Dinwiddie, VA
www.cygnusx1.net
Figit- I was just kidding around. That wasn't really directed at anyone. I use a method similar to this when checking to see if injectors are functioning properly. I take a long screwdriver and get the tip on the injector, then put the handle against my ear to hear the clicking.

Injector ticking shouldn't be too terribly loud- I'd be surprised if that's what you're hearing. Good luck figuring it out though.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
lol, ok.

i guess the idea with the stick isnt that bad... now that i think about it you'd have to be pretty clumsy to get hurt probably...or have a horribly running engine.

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
I haven't tried listening any harder, but it seems quieter now. I can BARELY hear it with the hood shut. If you open the hood it's noticable.
I think its just the injectors like mentioned... I hope!