Ticking noise, could it be exhaust leak?

lewis87mk3

Jun 6, 2006
maryland
It's a 7mgte 87 supra manual.

Another problem I have now that my car is running again... I have a ticking noise. It comes from the exaust side of the engine I think. I'll take a video of it later if it would help.
Basically, while in neutral either idling or reving, it does not make the ticking sound, no matter what kind of use of the gas pedal, lightly heavy, anything, no noise.
In gear and upon accelleration, the ticking starts and goes up with the rpms. It starts at very low rpms even around 1k rpms if gas is given to it steadily enough for the turbo to want to kick on..
While coasting or maintaining rpms the tick goes away, it also goes away under full boost...

I have the BIC divorced downpipe.

I suspect an exaust leak because I broke a bolt off where the downpipe elbow attaches to the turbo. I also know that two of my exaust manifold bolts are stripped and just loosely in there.

What would be the sound/symptoms of an exaust leak?
Does it sound like this is my problem?
Maybe it is a failing turbo somehow? Since it seems to only happen when the turbo is kicking on?

lewis87mk3

Jun 6, 2006
maryland
starscream5000 said:
Does it seem be a little laggy for what's in the car? Are you throwing codes? It kinda sounds like rod knock.... But we won't go there yet ;).

Car is not laggy whatsoever.. very fast... I haven't really really pushed it for any extended period of time, mostly I'm being very gentle with it for now to figure out whats going on.

I had a rodknock and just fixed it... its possible I didn't fix it well enough I guess, but this definitely does not seem to be a rodknock. I have heard a few different rodknocks from these engines and this just doesnt have the rodknock sound.

Like ive noticed with rodknocks they are more of knocks and at first only happen around 2.5k rpms feathering the gas pedal.. whether in neutral parked or not, doesnt seem to matter.

This is more of a ticking and happens throughout the full rpm band until max boost where it goes away again. Only happens in gear and driving while pressing the gas. if I let up on the gas at all it immediately goes away.

I thought maybe my timing was off, I readjusted it to 11-12 degrees at idle. ticking still there..

I'll have to do a incar video... theres a storm coming in tonight so I'm not about to go driving.. maybe ill post tommorrow or the next day.

lewis87mk3

Jun 6, 2006
maryland
starscream5000 said:
Set your timing to 10 btdc. does it sound like it could be coming from the head?

Is 10btdc better? I'll try that.. Somehow it had found its way to 15btdc and I had driven it like that for probably a month. Could that have damaged valves or something else?

It sounds more like head than block, let me put it that way.
My main problem with this issue is I cant listen for it while it happens..
I literally have to be in my car and moving for it to happen to the extent that it does.

I mean I have little valve tappings which are normal until the car warms up, almost every 7mgte has those.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Exhaust leaks will make a ticking sound...mostly from the manifold or EGR cooler though. Haven't heard one for the back of the turbo. I bet your motor is due for a valve shim adjustment.

EdgeSupra

Feb 19, 2006
New Jersey
jdub said:
Exhaust leaks will make a ticking sound...mostly from the manifold or EGR cooler though.

Yup, I have a tick from the manifold that I found was an exhaust leak.
Sounded funny to me at first but when I found out it made sense.
Under any throttle in any gear, including neutral....just gotta fix it, its damn annoying!

-Justin

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
LOL, you know what? This may be why my car's making a ticking noise which I'm diagnosing as rod nock ;). When I bought it, it had insanely loose exahust stud/bolt mix on the manifold...:3d_frown:

I tightened the ones I could reach easily up, but didn't place the gasket. It still leaks somewhat between the manifold and head. This could possibly be the noise I'm thinking is rod knock in my car...

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
wait, lemmie get this straight. 10 deg btdc? Do you do this by the gauge above the crank pulley? I set mine to zero. could this be the reason i have that noise too?
-Steve

johnnyddn

Jul 16, 2006
Las Vegas
Did you ever find a solution to this? I have the exact same problem. When the car is in neutral and I rev the engine you can't hear it. But when I put it into drive I here the ticking noise and it goes away at full boost. I also think mine is comming from the exhaust side because i can here it better when I drive around with the glove box opened.

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Kind of a side question, but i have some valve ticking as well. Also when the car has been sitting, and I start it I get a puff of blue smoke. I assumed it was the valve stem seals leaking, since it doesn't smoke when I get hard on it. Before I rebuild the head should I try to set the valve lash better? Thanks much.

johnnyddn

Jul 16, 2006
Las Vegas
Alright, after checking around I found out my EGR cooler plate is leaking exhaust. Should I go ahead and just remove the plate and buy some block off plates and remove the EGR system?

Intothenight19

Crissaegrim
Feb 23, 2006
Pa
Block it off, Im not familiar with Las Vegas emission laws, if you don't have any then rock out. I have an exhaust leak at head on my soup, annoying as a mofo, and it doesn't help my big turbo spools slow to begin with, this just makes it worse ha.....Oh, btw, I'd say keep the stock metal tubing and route it to a catch can..

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ummm...you can't block the EGR cooler off with the motor in the car. It would require tapping the port at the rear of the head. The best you will be able to do is replace the EGR cooler gasket...a real PITA due to the lack of space.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
jdub said:
Ummm...you can't block the EGR cooler off with the motor in the car. It would require tapping the port at the rear of the head. The best you will be able to do is replace the EGR cooler gasket...a real PITA due to the lack of space.

Maybe he could get the leprechaun thats hiding in his engine bay to use his little hands and fix the gasket.

You're in for a good time, I'll tell you that now.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Nope...the block off plates are for the intake manifold and side of the head where the EGR valve hooks up. The port that feeds the exhaust gas to the cooler is under it. You would have to remove the cooler, tap the port, and use a plug to seal it off. Very difficult (if not impossible) to do with the motor in the car.

Plugging the eshaust port would prevent the exhaust gas for ever leaving the exhaust side of the head, making the block off plates redundant....they would be there for looks only.