Throw out bearing assembly problem(pics)

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
The other day I was just driving the Supra around, I was sitting at a stop light waiting to go left, put the car in first and get threw the intersection, shift to 2nd and go threw it with no boost(breaking in new Spec Stage 3 with 6-puck). Go to shift to 3rd and for some reason i miss and go to 5th and let out the clutch alittle to fast. Clutch pedal is very hard to push in, pull the car out of gear and pull off to the side. Call cousin and find out you can drive the car with out the clutch, so i put the car into 3rd and drive the car too a large parking lot probably 1 - <2 miles away, all straight road. My dad comes and we pull the Supra home(3-5 miles). I took off the inspection cover only to find out that the clutch fork was full deflected by the slave cylinder push rod, it was sitting against the pressure plate scraping all the paint off when you pushed the pedal in, it wasnt sitting on it but very close when the pedal was all the way out. This means there is something wrong with the throw out bearing, sure enough. I just pulled the clutch today to find that my throw out bearing assembly was being machined. You can see from the pics below that the space for the lower snap ring was been completely milled off. When I took my throw out bearing apart the conical ring and the flat washer were on the other side of the bearing itself, so just the snap ring was on the out side(clutch disk side). I put the conical ring and flat washer on the back side(clutch disk side), this is what the TSRM said to do so i did it, but the thing is that i didnt reassemble it the way that it was assembled. By the way i have a Spec Stage 3 with a 6-puck. I have only driven <300 miles with this clutch. The past week or so it started making this weird sound(kind of sounded like metal being machined when i think about it) from the clutch because when you would push in the pedal just enough to take the free play out the noise would stop. So does anyone want to sell me another one of the assemblies(in pic). More importantly WHY did it does this?!

p484809_1.jpg

p484809_2.jpg

dustysupramk3

Lurker Durker
Sep 26, 2005
SD
same thing happen to me. did u use all new snap rings and washers etc? i hate dropping trannys i ended up taking of the tranny two times one for the throw out , and the other for a leak, it sucks, all in the same month. just go to toyota and get all the washer and snap rings and get a used hub and make sure u get that snap ring secured in that groove

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
the exact samething happened to me. I just bought everything brand new that was in the blow up I had so I wouldnt have to pull it down again. I think it was like 100 bucks for all the washers, throughout, bearing and hub.

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
Wow man i really thought i was along. Im gunna go to Reno Toyota tomorrow and order everything. I had no idea that i needed all new snap rings, should be included with the clutch or atleast a big note that tells you.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Yea I put a new hub in my last clutch job. I was lucky, I was getting ready to replace the clutch anyway and the last day I drove the car before putting it in the garage the hub broke. It would have sucked to change the clutch then have the hub break on me the next day.