Throttle Linkage

j_magers

Aug 26, 2005
Honolulu, HI
Anyone know if I can use the throttle linkage from an GE motor on a GTE motor? I am only talking about the one that mounts over the cam covers. I have the linkage on the turbo throttle body already.

j_magers

Aug 26, 2005
Honolulu, HI
I lined it up and its pretty close, I dont see why it wouldnt work. The mount hole fit same place, unless there is something different about the pulley system I think it might work. According to the parts manual there are different ones for auto and manual and then turbo/non.

j_magers

Aug 26, 2005
Honolulu, HI
OK, I need help. I have a JDM motor and thottle body and have the barrel type cable holder. Will this set up work and how do I tie it into the USDM car. Like where does the barrel holder mount at or do I have to get a new linkage. I know people have bought JDM motors and run into this problem. I have the linkage that was on the car previous but it was an NA car.
thanks

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
yep, i've got the big one capped off, but i have my PCV system bypassed, and that pic was taken before i installed a catch can. the large one should go to the two ports on the valve covers, one on the TB, and to the accordian pipe. the small one, i believe goes to the heater valve. (which i also removed. :))

-shaeff

j_magers

Aug 26, 2005
Honolulu, HI
so for your catch can you have two lines coming off the cam covers and one from the accordian hose to the can correct.

shaeff said:
yep, i've got the big one capped off, but i have my PCV system bypassed, and that pic was taken before i installed a catch can. the large one should go to the two ports on the valve covers, one on the TB, and to the accordian pipe. the small one, i believe goes to the heater valve. (which i also removed. :))

-shaeff

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
j_magers said:
so for your catch can you have two lines coming off the cam covers and one from the accordian hose to the can correct.

no, get an N/A valve cover pipe, so they connect into one, run that to the catch can, and another pipe to the accordian pipe from the catch can.

-shaeff

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i'm not sure of the difference, entirely. my GTE motor didnt come with the linkage, because they dont use it on the JDM supras. (RHD=direct cable to TB) so that's how i set mine up. if you can get an N/A throttle cable, you can do what i did with it. the throttle response is instantaneous. there's no slop, when you press the gas pedal, you actually feel the throttle plate moving.

i'm sure if you lengthend one of the rods on the N/A linkage that you could get it to work. but i'd say do it like i did, and get rid of the linkage, as it's crappy. :)

even so, with using the N/A TB and linkage, the TB will still be located further toward the driver's side fender. (the n/a TB is on the passenger's side of the Y pipe for the intake, putting it further toward the center of the engine bay than the GTE setup.)

-shaeff

j_magers

Aug 26, 2005
Honolulu, HI
good point about the location of the TB on the intake, forgot that its on the opposite end. guess i will just find a turbo tb and linkage.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i bet it'd be easier to just get an N/A throttle cable and do what i did. ;) plus, you get the benefits of NO linkage, and a better pedal feel!

-shaeff

j_magers

Aug 26, 2005
Honolulu, HI
I have an N/A throttle cable still on the car, can you take better picture of yours, I couldnt see it that well in the last one.

I circled the part I cant understand? What is that mounted to on top of the head?

However, this will remove my cruise control and I think I want to keep that.

shaeff said:
i bet it'd be easier to just get an N/A throttle cable and do what i did. ;) plus, you get the benefits of NO linkage, and a better pedal feel!

-shaeff

Attachments

• TB1.jpg
    TB1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 13
  • TB3.jpg
    TB3.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
the two extra nuts on the right hand side are what used to hold my N/A cable to the linkage. those arent used. the part you circled on the left is just a simple nut/bolt/lockwasher combo that fit into the JDM mount perfectly, and prevents the cable from shifting forward or backward. it works very well. :)

anyway, i'll be sending you that TB monday or tuesday at the latest. :)

-shaeff