Thinking about investing in some tools.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Snap-on is great, but I think a big complete set of Craftsman tools is not such a bad place to start. Then for the items you find you use the most, you can suppliment the set with the good snap-on stuff. If I was rich I would use more snap-on tools LOL

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
bigaaron said:
I was looking at buying some snap-on head tools because I know someone who can get me 50% off, and even at 50% off they are still 10-20% more then everything else!

I get almost everything Snap-on for 40-50% off too, But I also get 30% off Craftsman, It's not hard for me to make my decision.

bigaaron said:
Another great tool is 3/8" socket extensions with wobble ends!
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

My point exactly... From Snap-on I could get this simple extension for 15 bucks(with discount), or from Craftsman for 7 bucks(without discount)

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
MassSupra89 said:
My point exactly... From Snap-on I could get this simple extension for 15 bucks(with discount), or from Craftsman for 7 bucks(without discount)

You can get a set of 6 for less then 1 snap-on! Same with sockets, I refuse to pay $180 for a set of metric sockets when I can get a set for $15 that is just as strong. I have never had a problem with craftsman sockets being loose or stripping bolts. That usually happens when 12pt are used when it should be 6pt. With a breaker bar the 3/8 snap-on sockets don't handle any more torque then Craftsman before they split. But that is abuse anyway.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
The only thing I don't like about my new Craftsman ratchets is the lever on the back, it feels alittle loose and when im pushing down on the socket and ratcheting it, will switch itself over from tighten to loosen and vice versa.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ For (at most) half the price I'll switch the thing back every now and then, because if you're pushing on it that hard it's obviously not in a position that you can't get to it. :icon_bigg

OK, someone plz describe to someone who has used nothing but Craftsman his entire life, how can a set of wrenches feel "impressice" or w/e... I don't have problems stripping nuts/bolts w/ my craftsman tools.

And BigAaron, you typically get a metric AND a standard set w/ their sockets ($20, max) if you shop around X-mas time. :naughty:

Mick91MkIII

Jul 21, 2006
Reno, NV
I use Snap-On, Mac, and Matco sitting in my Snap-on tool box in my garage. I also have a set of Craftsman I take with me on trips and to the pick n pull yards. I have a few 3/8" Craftsman ratchets so I don't have to stop when I blow the ratcheting mechanisms out.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
the only craftsman tool I have in my box is a 18" breaker bar. I cant use craftsman anymore because they just dig into my hands when I try and use them.I love my Husky pros( look just like snap ons but black). I usually only buy from the trucks when stuff is on sale. If I need another tool I borrow it from someone. If I need it a second time then Ill buy it. You can get blackhawk tools a lot cheaper then mac and I have the full set off ratchet wrenches. I work at a dealer so I have no problem replacing tools but I never have so far.

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
omg... the ultimate ratchet, i've needed one of these on various occasions lol... bout time haha
640422-Bolt-Thru-example-L.jpg

640422-Comparison-Sample-L.jpg

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ Would pwn all over ratchet wrenches when you accidently get the damn thing stuck between the engine and a hard place (think top trans bolts)... Thats a horrible feeling.

Those appear to have the little on/off lever. Would be worth the investment I'm sure.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Is the socket attached to the ratchet? Or can you switch up sockets on the same ratchet handle?

That's alot like the ratcheting wrenches, but with an actual socket piece built in

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
MAC FTW, best pricing and very nice tools. matco is way over priced, and snap on is the middle but still too expensive. mac is the best way to go if u dont want craftsman or the equivelent of that.

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
nah i think you can switch out the sockets :D... extremely useful but i'd hate to think of the price haha

so noone answered yet... powerbuilt... you guys ever heard of em over there?

29pc 1/4”, 3/8” Dr Combination Bolt-Thru Socket & Bit Set
Exclusive design Z-Drive sockets allow 20% more torque
Thin walled sockets fit in tight spaces without sacrificing socket strength
1/4” Dr and 3/8” Dr adaptors included for use with conventional sockets and bit adaptor

Includes Bolt-Thru 72 tooth reversible Ratchet
Bolt-Thru sockets 10mm, 11mm, 12mm,13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm,
19mm, 3/8”, 7/16”, 1/2”, 9/16”, 5/8”, 11/16”, 3/4”
75mm/3” Extension
1/4” Dr & 3/8” Dr Socket adaptors
Coupler and 25mm/1” Bits
Phillips #0, #1, #2
Slotted 1/8”, 3/16”, 1/4”
part #640422 $US76.40
http://www.amcmotorcycles.com/index.html?lang=en-uk&target=d373.html&lmd=38947.469213

640422w.jpg

640422-Flexi-of-Head-S.jpg

Last edited: