Thinking about investing in some tools.

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I am thinking about spending some money on some decent tools. I'm just curious as to what others are using. I have been looking at the Mastercraft Maximum line aswell as the Craftsman Professional line.. I also stopped by the snap-on website, but that's a little out there.

So, what do you all use, any recommendations? Also, I was thinking about going with the 259 Piece Mastercraft Maximum (lifetime warranty) set that is on for $250 from $500 right now, a wicked deal. I think that would be a good place to start, then start adding more tools as I go. What do you think, go with a set to start out with or buy them individually?

Last edited:

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Craftsman is always good if you don't have the cash - they are lifetime warranty if they ever break. They lack precision though. Some wrenches and sockets are "loose" compaired to a more expensive brand.

Personally I have matco and snap on in my box along with some craftsman.

Food for thought:
The "o-allen" tools available at Menards and other home improvement stores are made by the same company that makes Matco Tools. The only deal is, if you buy the o-allen brand you're paying 1/2 of what it would cost off the Matco Tool Truck.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
:thumbup: Craftsman is FTW. Cheap, free to replace, and you can find a retailer just about anywhere.

just don't get their aluminum race jack thing, it'll last about 3 months (if you use it on a regular basis) and they throw a huge shit fit if you try to get them to replace it. Bastards...

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I got mostly Craftsman. I get a real good deal since I work in the garage at a Sears.

I agree with MKII, Don't buy Craftsman jack's. We go through the 4 ton $180 ones all the time at work. They just stop jacking.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
i go craftsman, get the mechanic set then add on pieces as you need them.

i have a 3 1/4 ton i think floor jack(CM) and it works fine. it just started to squeek though so i hope its not dieing on me. its about 2 years old, i hope it just needs greased up a bit.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
So what jacks are good? The current jack I use is really old and after my drop, it became to big to fit under the front of my car.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i use master craft at work and at home

but see if i break one i get new one all the time somes time si break shit on prupoes so i can get new one

canida tire warrty is gold i brought back my turq wrench got new one but better

plus tools are tools if sears is close to buy them if crappy tire is close to you buy them if home depo is near you buy husky

all of them have life time warrties

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
NashMan said:
but see if i break one i get new one all the time somes times i break shit on prupoes so i can get new one

I break thin wall sockets all the time at work using them with air guns... Sometime's I see how long it takes to split them in half, then I just walk over to tools, and grab another new shiney one:icon_bigg

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Well, I have actually read people's impressions of the two different mastercraft lines, the non maximum, and the maximum... with the maximum line being much better. I think I might go with the mastercraft maximum line, and it's only $250 with a lifetime warranty.. apparently canadian tire fixes ratchets on site, and if they dont have the tools to do that, they replace it on the spot. I think i'll go with them.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I have broken 2 snap on sockets and one craftsman. Difference is, good luck finding a snap on truck when you need one. I'm happy with craftsman because they are inexpensive, good quality, and easy to replace. Also remember that when setting up a tool set for yourself, having only a few expensive tools is not going to get the job done. You need all the right tools for what you are going to do.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
I used to be a Matco Dealer. They have some great stuff. Better prices than Mac or Snap-on.

The Craftsman 'Proline' tools are made at same factory as Matco wrenches. They are cheaper, but just as good.

I will sit here and think about my tools for you.

Just about any air tools will work, as you won't be using it every day. Get a good compressor too.

Those ratchet wrenches are great.

Just be sure to get tools that are 'smooth'. The basic cheap stuff, and the cheaper Sears brand stuff are rough on your hands.

Same goes for screwdrivers. And get bright colored ones so you don't leave them under the hood.

Assortment of pliers.

Also, get a couple of those magnetic trays to hold your nuts & bolts as you take them off.

And get a good fender cover. And a good drop light. And a MAGLIGHT.

And some jack stands. Tranny funnel, oil drain pan. Oil filter wrench. Torque wrenchs, inch lbs, and foot lbs.

For home use, a craftsman toolbox will work great.

An analog VOM. A turkey bayster (for sucking out P/S fluid, and brake fluid.

Walmart has air compressors and related air guns and blow guns.

Save your old t-shirts for rags, 100% cotton.

Is there a Harbor Freight Co. near you??? They have lots of stuff.

Pry bar sets. Puller set. Tape measure. Dial calipers. Scissors.

1/2' dr. Impact socket set. 3/8" dr. Universal impact adaptor.(these won't 'fold over' and bind when using air tools.

hack saw. Aviation snips, yellow handle is all you need.

A cart on wheels is the handy est thing. You can put stuff on it and wheel it next to the car.

Wheeling around a toolbox can be a drag.

Walmart has aluminum muffin pans for 50 cents, get 4-5 to put the nuts & bolts in for bigger jobs. This way they will stay seperated so going back together is much faster.

hammers, and chisels, and punches.

A vise for your work bench.

Again, Harbor Freight has alot, for a little $$$.
http://www.harborfreight.com/

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Doward said:
BUY A SET OF THE CRAFTSMAN RATCHETING WRENCHES!

The good set. omfg. I don't know how I ever worked on a car without them :)

:withstupi

Another great tool is 3/8" socket extensions with wobble ends!
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...9&group_ID=241&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

45 deg needle nose pliers! We call them "ninja pliers" around the shop for some reason :biglaugh: Your best weapon against the stock hose clamps!!!
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=00930429000&vertical=Sears&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Deep sockets from 22 to 38mm are a good idea too, the cheap impact ones at harbor freight are fine. I got a set at the swap meet for $12 that are great. Mostly used for the sensors, but there a few other things like the water outlet in the head that require the bigger sockets. You will not need them often, but good luck finding them for sale in the middle of a job at night.

The hardest tool to find when you want to buy one to remove the cylinder head valley cover:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=00999170000&vertical=Sears&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
I cannot stand using craftsman tools. They feel so loose and imprecise. :3d_frown:

You can open up a snap-on account and buy a thousand dollars worth of tools, and then have them take out $20 a week from your checking account. You'll pay it off in one year, not even notice the money is gone, and you won't have to put out alot of money at once.

If you want to go cheap however, I would highly recommend Pro Series KR tools. They are what I buy if I didn't have Snap-On. Awesome stuff. They also have a lifetime warranty.

I actually have a set of the pro series ratches that get more use than the snap-on ratchets.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
mattjk said:
You can open up a snap-on account and buy a thousand dollars worth of tools, and then have them take out $20 a week from your checking account. You'll pay it off in one year, not even notice the money is gone, and you won't have to put out alot of money at once.

Snap-on can afford to do that because of their rediculously high prices.
I was looking at buying some snap-on head tools because I know someone who can get me 50% off, and even at 50% off they are still 10-20% more then everything else!