test pipes on na??

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
ok, well i'm pretty certain (going from memory) that i don't have the cali cat. is this going to be a big problem when it comes time to smog my car if i sell it?

uhm...does anyone have or can take a picture of the california cat? the other one is obvious i can see it. i'll have a look at my exhaust later today to see whats goin' on. i'm pretty sure i'm only running one.

now i hope i dont have to look into changing my exhaust because of that. crap.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
There's more to it than just the exhaust. ;) Anyway, I have no idea how it'll effect you selling the car. You could try sending a PM to SupraRX7nut, he's got a Cali spec '90.

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
i ran open headers for a short time. made a big diff. but really loud. here we dont have smog testing. pretty much let off the gas when you see a cop.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Heh, I ran open headers for about an hour.... ugh. What a hell. Definitely not something I'd do on anything but a track car. Anyway there is a HUGE difference to open headers and running ANY kind of exhaust setup. People think that if open headers are good then 4" pipe will be better, but that's not typically the case.

I will say this for open headers on a N/A... built in back and ass massage. :naughty:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I'd be more than happy to trade you my Cali-spec exhaust... ;)

CRE said:
There's more to it than just the exhaust. ;) Anyway, I have no idea how it'll effect you selling the car. You could try sending a PM to SupraRX7nut, he's got a Cali spec '90.

Cali cars and the turbo's have a second cat 3-4 feet or so BEFORE the normal location. If you're trying to find it, you'll have to get under the car to see it. It ends before the elbow in the piping(obviously)....

EX_002.gif

NeatOman

Never know enough!
Oct 5, 2006
Addison, IL
You can change anything in the exhaust! as long as you put the ox sensor in the right place. And the the only thing it you will do is improve gas mileage and power.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
oh boy i dont think i have a cali system.

shit. how the hell can i pass smog NOW?? is there any CHANCE i'd get by on the single cat?

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Why not contact one of the test centers to find out? They'd hopefully be able to give you a better idea.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
NeatOman said:
You can change anything in the exhaust! as long as you put the ox sensor in the right place. And the the only thing it you will do is improve gas mileage and power.

If you're saying that absolutely any change to the stock system will result in gains in powe and mileage, then, no... not true. There's plenty you could do to make things worse.