Test Pipe or High Flow CAT

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
Hey guys I just needed some help because I'm new with this supra and I have a choice of either getting a 3" test pipe or a 3" high flow CAT. Which would be better in terms of speed and power and which would be better in durability? :1zhelp:

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
For all those things you want a test pipe. Its just a steel pipe it will outlast a cat.

But be warned your cars exhaust will smell terrible sometimes without one. It also might get you in trouble with the law.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
I have a high flow cat but ive never run a full system without one so im not sure of the gains of not running it. A test pipe just goes where the cat would be. Its just a piece of exhaust pipe. So technically it should be better than having an obstruction there.

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
Current and "genuine" high flow CAT such as the types offered by Random Technology, offers performance comparable and at times almost equivalent to that of an exhaust system without a CAT. Unless your car has been relegated to a full racecar, it's senseless to not have a CAT and poses ambivalence to our current climate and atmospheric fate.

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
yeah I know the CAT is environmentally better but I don't want to be using a CAT if a test pipe will give me better results and is better for my car.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
My boost went up 2psi (with no other changes) when I switched from the RT high flow cat to a testpipe. That was proof enough for me that the Cat was a restriction.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
right now on my daily drive ir un open DP and its the stock DP. i get 8+ PSI @ WOT. exhaust doesn't stink too bad but stinks, i would get a test pipe, thats what i plan on doing. But becareful because the police can impound ur car for not having 1 and hit you with hefty fines

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
IF you have emissions, run a cat..If your NA, run a cat as theres really not a very big gain from running a test pipe with NA. For turbo cars, test pipe hands down.

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Run a high flow cat on the street. It's not like you need every last horsepower driving to work. When you are going to run on the track than you can swap in your test pipe. Don't drive on the street without a cat. If you do I hope you get caught.

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
Yeah I live in Ontario,Canada and thanks to the guy who hopes I get caught lol. And yes it's a turbo but if the car can get impounded without a CAT then I guess I'll just keep the test pipe as a replacement for whenever I'm gunna race.